Default Privet starting to bloom

In central Mississippi the privet is blooming. Better check my supers. Privet is very plentiful in MS. It has become a very invasive bush. Also, bees love it.
    Fannbee

it's getting close here
    what's your point?
    is privet good or bad ?
    seems like I've heard it makes a bitter honey
    I just harvest whatever they bring in and it tastes great

Dave

Default Privet

The bush is taking over. It has gotten out of hand; however, it makes good honey and lots of it.
    Fannbee

hmm, interesting
    I have a few in the yard
    all the garden centers sell it
    doesn't seem to be a problem around here, yet
    looking at wikipedia it confirms what you say about it being a pest

Dave

Still a little while before the Privet starts here. I can't wait!! Great honey, very clear, very good! And like fann says, makes a lot of it.

I think what we have most here in the southeast is know just as Common Privet. I have heard that the Japanese Privet does make bitter honey?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Default Privet, good and bad

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Still a little while before the Privet starts here. I can't wait!! Great honey, very clear, very good! And like fann says, makes a lot of it.

I think what we have most here in the southeast is know just as Common Privet. I have heard that the Japanese Privet does make bitter honey?
    Bizzybee/mod,
    Here in California that shrub, privet, is a good honey producer, blooming several times in the summer. Sometimes even three times it will bloom if we have some late rain in the early fall.
    Yes, your right about there being more kinds of this bush/tree. It gets to get over 20 feet if you water it.
    It's doing well here and the polen it makes is hard on my nose and eyes. It's also hard for me to breath when privet is blooming too.... Well, that's my problem with it...
    Lee...

I have a lot of it blooming nearby. Here's a closeup photo of one my new black bees on some blooms.

Bees on privet

They seem to ignore the abundant pollen that coats them in yellow. I could see where a pollen allergy would be a problem with this bush. It's all over.
    ~May your hive thrive
    Aisha