Default Second Brood Box over Drawn Comb

I installed a package on 10 frames of drawn comb about 12 days ago. When I checked them on Monday the queen was laying, it's been pretty warm here so it looks like thing are moving along pretty well.

Anyway, when should I put the second deep on? The 7/10 rule doesn't really apply since they're already working on drawn comb.

My gut says let the first round of brood hatch then slap it on with the reenforced numbers.

Thanks,

K

7/10 rule does apply, but they will get there quicker with drawn comb vs foundation. I would wait till they have 7/10 frames laid up with brood, shouldn't take long.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
    7/10 rule does apply, but they will get there quicker with drawn comb vs foundation. I would wait till they have 7/10 frames laid up with brood, shouldn't take long.
    Sounds good to me.

I always thought the 7/10 rule was 7 of 10 frames drawn, not drawn and in brood. Then again it could be all happening about the same time anyway.

Thanks,

K

Quote Originally Posted by kopeck View Post
    Sounds good to me.

I always thought the 7/10 rule was 7 of 10 frames drawn, not drawn and in brood. Then again it could be all happening about the same time anyway.

Thanks,

K
    The thing to remember is that bees do best in a space they can control. If they only fill half the space they are in, then they will only be able to control half that space, but if they fill 3/4 or more, then additional space would be warrented. If you have small hive beetles in your area, this is an important thing to remember, as small hive beetles expand rapidly in a large uncontroled space, but not so much when the bees control all available space.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by peggjam View Post
    The thing to remember is that bees do best in a space they can control. If they only fill half the space they are in, then they will only be able to control half that space, but if they fill 3/4 or more, then additional space would be warrented. If you have small hive beetles in your area, this is an important thing to remember, as small hive beetles expand rapidly in a large uncontroled space, but not so much when the bees control all available space.
    Makes perfect sense.

Thank you!

K