Default Hiving new packages

Greetings all,

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I will be hiving two packages this weekend and the hives will be about 3 feet apart. Is there anything I should do to minimize drifting between the hives? Should I time them apart or do them at the same time?

Thanks for the advice.

JT

Don't have then all facing the same way. Face the outside two a little away from the center one. Or even better, face them in the opposite direction.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Make sure the hives have distinguishing characteristics (I'm terrible about this - most of my boxes are dark blue), install later in the evening. I'd do them at the same time and equalize later as needed. When they are tiny hefting the box and swapping them is easy. When they weigh 220lbs and are boiling with bees, not so much. Then again, at that point you rarely need to equalize.
    http://www.voiceofthehive.com - Tales of Beekeeping and Honeybees

The boxes are definitely colorful and unique...thanks to my 5 year old sold. These bees will have no trouble distinguishing their home from others. In fact, I'm worried they might be a little embarrassed.

Newly installed packages drift a lot the first day as they don't really KNOW where they live yet. It's like two swarms and they aren't sure which one they belong to.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    they don't really KNOW where they live yet. It's like two swarms and they aren't sure which one they belong to.
    Do they eventually figure it out?

Quote Originally Posted by jasontatro View Post
    Do they eventually figure it out?
    Yes...they do. After a while, it's like they only see their own hive.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"