Default hive top feeder questions

My hive top feeder (beemax type) had tens of dead bees in the part where the bees feed. I didn't think this was too hygeinic, and the sugar solution was growing a greenish mold and smelled like it was fermenting. So I changed out the feeders (I have two) and threw out that solution - was I right in doing this, or am I being wasteful? I am also concerned with how slowly they are taking the feed. They are not gobbling it down and I am a bit disappointed. There is brood rearing going on and they are building out the foundation strips I gave them, but I'm just not sure that they shouldn't be going more like gangbusters. If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Wrap some window screening around the lip the bees climb over, and
    all the way down to the bottom of the reservoir. This will cut down
    on the bee drowning.

As far as the speed with which the feed is being taken, there are
    a hundred different variables at work here - there's little chance of
    stumbling upon the exact reason based the description given.

If no syrup is leaving the feeder and the bees are drawing wax then they must be flying and you have to have some kind of flow to make wax. If they have nectar coming in they won't likely take syrup and keeping it on will be a waste.

If they aren't flying and drawing wax then they are taking the syrup. Fermented isn't good and should be replaced. You can use EO's to help prevent fermentation, there are other things that can be used as well.

The amount of syrup being taken in depends of course on the hive size (in bees) and weather. In good weather a full ten frame can use about a quart a day. It is also possible that you have a moderate flow and the bees are using both. That's something you will have to find out?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

how do I find out if htey are bringing in nectar. they are brining in good amounts of pollen. it appears that they are slowly drawing out the wax, and there is brood being raised. What is EO (to stop fermentation)?