Thread: Spacing frames

Sad Spacing frames

Ok, I am wondering how to space the frames in my new 10 frame deep, for my new package bees. I know that "bee space" should be larger than 1/4 of and inch and smaller than 3/8. But exactly how do you space the frames? Do you have to use a tool? measure it out with a ruler?, or can you just eyeball it and space the frames evenly apart within the hive body?

The reason I am confused is because when I push the frames tight together against one side, there looks to be almost enough room for one more frame in the box. I got the box from Dadant and haven't measured the exact distance yet. I thought about doing that and then eyeballing it. Any thoughts?

Right now I have my bees in one of these deeps with 9 frames spaced evenly apart (queen hanging in the middle), and am going to finally get to check on them this afternoon (after 5 days) and put in the 10th frame.

Put the 10th frame in. Push them all together until they get the comb drawn out.

Just push the frames together. You don't have to leave any space between the frames. The side bars of the frames will leave the needed space between frames.

The extra space that you have (I usually center the 10 frames, so I wind up with two spaces -- one on each end) will "fill up" over time as the bees propolize frames and comb is drawn out. After the comb is drawn, you'll find that the amount of extra space is much less.

Thank you, thats what I needed to know.

You will get more area to lay brood with 10 frames in the brood area. When your bees start making honey, put 9 frames in the honey supers fitted with metal spacers. I would not suggest 8 frames. The new white comb will be tender and extraction will be a nightmare. Some schools of thought say to use 9 frames in all boxes including brood areas (Walt Wright). I have done it this way as well. Inspections are easier because of the removability of the frames and everything is lined-up as far as the 9 frame honey supers above.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    Put the 10th frame in. Push them all together until they get the comb drawn out.

...and do it ASAP before you have a mess to deal with.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF