Default How to arrange supers?

I have a deep brood box, that is completely filled out and full of brood, etc.

This spring, I put a shallow super on, with wax foundation. All but about 3 combs are completely drawn out with honey.

So then I got a medium super with wax foundation. I put this on top. And then I moved two of the outside non-finished frames in the shallow super to the center.

My question is whether I need more brood space, and should I do something about that? Should I have put the shallow super on top and the medium super in the middle? (btw, I do not use a queen excluder).

Wink Brood Space...

It's probably a good thing that you're not using a queen excluder, because if your one deep brood box is that full of brood, most assuredly you will need more brood space.

Since there's no queen excluder, the girls may just start moving up in the hive, commandeering more space for egg-laying. However, if it were me, I would take that medium super and put it next in line on top of the brood box. Let them draw that out for more brood space.

My rationale is that if that shallow super is full of honey already, the queen will probably not move up. It's my understanding that the queen will not cross a honey "bridge." So you want the capped honey on top of the hive and the medium super with foundation to draw out down atop the brood box.

Hope this helps.

Bees Keeper at www.BeesCause.blogspot.com

Thanks. Hopefully the shallow is finished this week, and I will switch the medium with the shallow.

If the queen runs out of space in the deep and there is a honey cap above the deep, they will swarm. Put the medium over the deep immediately before swarm preps start. It would be a good idea to checkerboard the shallow as well. Alternate empty with full combs. This gives the colony the impression that they dont have an adequate honey reserve and that swarming would jeopardize colony survival.