Thread: Fun stuff

Default Fun stuff

I picked up a small swarm Thursday last week. This swarm likely came from a feral hive about 25 feet from the swarm cluster, in a hollow tree limb. I figured it was a virgin swarm do to the size and the fact I didn't readily see the queen. I dumped them into a 3 frame nuc box with a frame of eggs and larva and a frame of honey. Saturday I was working bees and decided to check on them. I didn't see any eggs. I didn't find any queen cells either, and since I gave them eggs last week, I was pretty sure there is a queen. I looked all through it and no queen. I'm pretty proficient now at finding queens, even virgins, and it was only a 3 frame nuc. The bees were very clingy, like a swarm also, and fanning. Sunday midday I saw what I am pretty sure was the queen return from her mating flight. I'll check in a few days and I bet I find eggs. Sunday afternoon the hive was very quiet and contented.

Sounds neat! Let us know what you find; I am interested to hear how it goes.

Jeffrey
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

As expected, lots of eggs and young brood when I checked today.

Glad it all worked out! Congrats!
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)