Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Walter Kelley frames - why no v-cut?

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Dan Williamson 
#1 ·
I just bought 100 frames, and there are no v-cuts on the edge bars. Is this how they do it now?

My box of supers--ripped open and the UPS driver handed me a handful of nails and said "I found these on the floor of the truck, I bet they're yours."

#2 ·
also I bought the non-wired wax foundation, 100 sheets, and now my father tells me I should have gotten the wired foundation, and that the non-wired wax foundation isn't good for extraction.

I would be using wire and embedder with the non-wire wax foundations.

Is this true? Should I return the foundation I bought for wired foundation?

I'm irritated right now. :)

#3 ·
Just Got Done Nailing Frames From Kellys, Never Had Any Problem On Orders From Them Always Boxed Vey Well, Dont Know About V Cut I Have Some Old Frames With And Without It. I Would Put The Foundation In I Had And Then I Use 024 Mig Welder Wire Laced Through End Holes In Frame. I Have Bees Being Shipped From Them Tomorrow I'll Find Out How Thir Shipping Is On Them, They Have Always Been Quick For Me And Price Is Good

#4 ·
Give Kelley Co. a call. They have a new owner and they are changing some designs. I noticed that the front end of their screened bottom boards changed.

Kelley does have the best frames! I would not be sad to see the "V" end bar go. Commercial beekeepers cannot use Kelley frames because that "V" causes their automatic uncapping machines to jam.

You do have the wrong foundation for extracting. I use Kelley's thin foundation (no wires) for Ross Round comb honey and Kelley medium wax foundation (no wires) for cut comb honey. What thickness is your foundation? Kelley does have the best wax foundation.

The best combination for beginners, and one that I use myself, is Kelley's frames with a grooved top bar and grooved bottom bar. I combine that with Mann Lake's "Rite Cell" unwaxed plastic foundation. I add my own beeswax. The beeswax from the factory is not thick enough.

Once you buy plastic foundation you will never have to buy another piece of foundation. If you own a power sprayer, clean the plastic foundation with the power sprayer and add your own beeswax.

Good Luck. There is a learning curve in beekeeping, so be patient. Mistakes are just a learning opportunity. I have been keeping bees since 1963 and I am still learning better ways of doing things. My mistakes would fill up a number of garbage cans.

#5 ·
Walter Kelly Frames-waxing foundation?

You speak of waxing the plastic foundations. How do you do that. I just bought an apiary kit(Mann Lake) and got the "waxed" plastic foundations. Can or should I add more wax to them. They do seem thin on wax. Also I do have some wire embedded wax foundation I have aquired. Can I remove the plastic and use the wax foundation in its place?
(My Apricots are blooming!here in NW Missouri!!! yippee :D)

#6 ·
You speak of waxing the plastic foundations. How do you do that. I just bought an apiary kit(Mann Lake) and got the "waxed" plastic foundations. Can or should I add more wax to them. They do seem thin on wax. Also I do have some wire embedded wax foundation I have aquired. Can I remove the plastic and use the wax foundation in its place?
(My Apricots are blooming!here in NW Missouri!!! yippee :D)
Do not mix wax foundation and plastic foundation. After the bees draw out the foundation it really does not matter what foundation you used.

The bees hate plastic foundation. Therefore, add some beeswax, if you have some, to the "waxed" plastic foundation. There is an article in one of the recent bee journals on how to do it. The author used a small roller from Wal-Mart. This method might be too slow for a commercial beekeeper. A commercial beekeeper might dip the plastic foundation into a vat of wax and water. Just be sure to shake the plastic foundation to get some of the wax off. The bees love the extra wax and will draw out the foundation in short order.

#9 ·
kelley packaging

I have bought a lot of items from Kelley and have found their packaging the most secure I have ever seen. the boxes are glued and taped very tightly. as a matter of fact, I find it very hard to open the packages because they are so secure. The only complaint I have is that creepy bee man logo. Part bee, Part man. It reminds me of "THE FLY"
Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.