Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Poison Ivy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burlington NC
    Posts
    125

    Default Poison Ivy

    Does anyone know if bee stings would help relieve poison ivy?

    I have a bad breakout in between my fingers and a little on my palm. Its in the blister stage now so I may be too late to help it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,598

    Default

    umm, I don't know, but I suspect you'd make a bad situation worse
    sorry for your pain, poison ivy sux:mad:

    Dave

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cameron, MO
    Posts
    586

    Default Poison Ivy

    I know a beek that makes beeswax lotion bars that swears they work on lots of things including poison ivy. If you want I can get you his address in Kansas? I was in a bunch of ivy vines today hanging a trap up in a portable deer stand. I'm not itching YET!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Greensboro, N.C.
    Posts
    5,080

    Default

    I have never tried either. I don't react to poison ivy. I would think propolis would work better than the venom. Heat it with honey until they will mix together.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Burlington NC
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Thanks, I may try the propolis. I tried honey alone but its such a sticky mess and the relief doesn't last but a few minutes.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    White County, Arkansas
    Posts
    874

    Default

    I'm extremely allergic to Poison Ivy. Been hospitalized twice for it along with Poison Oak. They told me once I had poison sumac, but I didn't see any around. Still was miseable for three weeks! I did try what one guy called poison ivy honey. Tasted like he got it from the store.

    I eat a lot of anti histamines. But no epi-pen or the like.

    Oh yeah, I forgot, I also wash the dickens out of myself with soap and water when I know I've gotten into it. Usually within ten minutes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Erin, NY /Florence SC
    Posts
    3,361

    Default

    No but Jewelweed crushed raw and applied dries it up instantly!

  8. #8

    Default

    There is a horse, dog cure all salve we use called Nustock that will pretty much dry it up in a day or so. www.nustock.com
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    St. Albans, Vermont
    Posts
    5,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    No but Jewelweed crushed raw and applied dries it up instantly!
    For sure, Joel? Good One!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pocahontas County, West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    216

    Default

    I can verify that jewelweed juice works. Gibbons used to crush it out of the plants and then freeze the juice in ice cube trays then just apply a cube when needed.
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." - P.J. O'Rourke

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    46,341

    Default

    In my experience the problem with poison ivy is that the oil is very difficult to get off and that is what perpetuates and even spreads the problem. You need something that will remove oil. There is a poison ivy treatment for sale that will do this (don't remember the name off the top of my head) but it smells like a product I used to buy to clean oil paint off of brushes, called "Cooks Cleaner-upper". I would focus on getting the oil off. Paint thinner, Degreaser such as goop etc. should work. Soap and water never seem to really get it all off.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Merrimac, Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I think you are referring to naphtha soap.
    Tai
    ECBA Essex County Beekeeping Association #;~)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    estevan, sask, canada
    Posts
    185

    Default Poison Ivy treatment

    Had poison ivy,real bad.Soaked in warm coarse salt,wrappt in a packing of oat meal and soda mixture,let dry for 1 hr.,then scrapt off,then scrubbed real hard the infected area with dish soap,I used polmolive and scrub hard with a lite abrasive scrubber,rinse,and let air dry.GOT OVER IT,TOOK 2 WEEKS.
    B. roger eagles

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    2,030

    Default

    I've heard of the jewelweed treatment, but it has never done a darn thing for me, sadly. Getting the oil off is key, if you know you've been in PI. I hiked through a huge patch one, and was nowhere near plumbing. As soon as I made it to a stream, I scrubbed well with river sand, and (knock wood) never got a rash.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lee\'s Summit, MO
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    TECNU EXTREME!!! I get exposed to poison Ivy pretty regularly as I love to root around the woods hunting (animals, birds, berries, and mushrooms) and exploring. If I think I've been exposed I scrub with the soap. If I'm within 2 to 3 hours of exposure I'm safe. Those times I don't think I was exposed and don't scrub up I invariably get it. The Tecnu lessens the symptoms by at least a week (maximum two instead of three weeks and then some) and the weeping and raised skin is minimized.

    http://www.tecnuextreme.com/ I don't sell the stuff but lord knows I've bought alot of it. It works the best of everything I run across and I've run across all kinds of medicines and folk cures.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North Tazewell, Virginia
    Posts
    345

    Default Re: Poison Ivy

    hey man go to your local pharmacy and buy a bottle of poison ivy pills take a pill a day till fall and you won't get poison ivy anymore. The pills taste good to it takes about 25 to30 days to build up in your system but it does work. They are cheap no prescription needed I get mine at gnc or motherearth and start takeing them in march haven't had it in 10 yr it works later

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Durham, NH, USA
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Poison Ivy

    Second vote for Tecnu. Makes a bad situation way better and I swear if you put it on beforehand, it's preventative.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Altamont, NY USA
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Poison Ivy

    Another vote for technu. It works GREAT! I react pretty badly to poison ivy, and this is the only stuff that works for me (besides the steroids I was on the year I got it on my face) . I've tried all sorts of things including jewelweed, and for me, technu is the only thing that touched it.

    Jennifer

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cary, NC, USA
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Poison Ivy

    Technu is amazing stuff. Spared me from uncomfortable weeks on many occasions.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads