Default New Hive suroundings and feeding

My bee supplier installed our two hives due to me being unable to pick up the packages upon arrival. We picked them up last nite at dusk. cool, rainy evening there, no activity, lots of bees huddled together. We racheted them down, and moved them over a mountain pass and 200 miles to our house. I bed them down, no feed (didn't want to place a top feeder on at midnite and at 37 deg F. outside, for fear of causing more problems.

This morning, it's presently 60 deg outside, sunny. We have dandelions in bloom, a couple cherry trees in full bloom just 50 feet away. There is MASSIVE amount of activity in front of both hives, lots of circling. I see a few honey bees on the cherry trees, but hard to tell if they're mine. I do see some bees hightailing it like gangbusters out of and back to the hives. Lots of others just circling around and going in and out of the hives.

I'm guessing they are orienting to their new environment, and others have found some good nectar sources?

I am wondering when a good time would be to place the top feeders. I work 7p-7a. They could be doing this all day, then start back all over again by the time I get home in the morning at 7:30am. Should I just put on the bee suit and hell be damned, go in and give the girls some 1:1, or wait until the next nite time possibility for me....Friday nite (two days away).

I think I know the answer...I'm preparing the feed now.

Here's a picture of them both.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...e/newhives.jpg

The picture doesn't do justice. There are hundreds/thousands of bees quite active just outside the hives.

I'm thinking that smoke wouldn't be of any use and may harm, just suit up, unratchet the hives and remove the top cover and place the top feeders.

Hmmm.

Why would you go in at night? Nitetime doesn't seem like the best time to go into a hive. I know you work during the night too. I would feed them in the morning around 8-9am as long as it's warm enough. If not, and you can stay awake, feed them around noon so that the day is at its warmest. Suit up and give em some food! Especially if these are package bees, I'd feed em. Sounds like you have some things in bloom, but they still need to be fed IMO. Have fun!
    Let's BEE friends

Orientation and starting foraging.

Suited up, but they didn't mind, even midday and 60's. Lots of activity outside. Inside, still lots more bees huddled up. I left the inner covers on (I previously had enlarged the inner cover hole to a 4x4 "skilsaw" type dimensions) and set topfeeders and syrup.

Closed the lid, sat back and just admired these little buggers.