Thread: Feeding honey

Default Feeding honey

Hi everybody, My wife and I are new to the bee world and I have question. We aquired two hives from guy getting out of the bee bussiness, one with a handfull of bees the other empty the bees have since died. seven of the frames are full of honey all others are empty, no brood we purchased bees for the hives so heres the question. Do we feed the honey to the new bees and if so do we start with one hivebody or stack two

If you are installing new bees in the old hives, just leave the honey in there. They will make good use of it as they build up. If only starting one hive, maybe start out with 3 or 4 frames of honey, with 2 or 3 frames of empty comb in the middle, the honey right on either side of that. This way they can start the brood nest and have the honey nearby.

Start with 1 hive body, add the next one when the first is around 80% full of bees, brood, and honey. That way they are more able to defend their space (from moths, beetles, mice, etc).

If you know of any history of foulbrood with this beekeeper, then don't use the equipment or the honey.

Rick

Thanks Rick, I don't think foulbrood was a problem, the brood frames are all empty, no brood at all just honey.