Thread: Taking a peek?

Default Taking a peek?

I installed 7 packages on Saturday and will have a chance to check them this wednesday or I'll have to wait until the following wednesday.I don't want to open them to early but on the other hand I don't think I want to wait 11 days in case there is something wrong with the queens. Is this Wednesday to early to check and release the queens if ness.Thanks Jason

Feel free to take a look and make sure she is out of the cage. Let her out, or at least put a nail thru the candy if she isn't, so she can get out. You can even try to find some eggs if you wish.

If it is cold tho, just make sure she is out, and keep the hive open for as short a time as possible.

I know I wouldn't wait 11 days more to check if the queen has been released. With packages as far as I know, the bees have accepted the queen by then; 2-4 days in shipment. Some beekeepers release the queen when they install the packages. If there may be "something wrong" with the queen/queens you can quickly order some, or combine the bees that you have that may be queenless and add a queen later.
    Last edited by Oldbee; 04-14-2008 at 04:00 PM.

Go for it!

You aren't going to "spook the bees into killing the queen" or any such
    nonsense.

Thanks. This is just what I was hoping to here. I'm going in.

i checked and released my queen after 3 days... everything went fine. A week later both hives had 4 frames of foundation completely drawn and were working on the 5th. Eggs were also visible.

So, go for it!

Default Took a peek

All systems go 6 of 7 Queens were out and doing there thing. The 1 queen that wasn't out I almost lost while helping her out. I scraped the candy out with a nail and when I put the nail down I switched hands with the cage. I felt a bee crawling up the hand that I was previously holding the cage with and I instinctively flicked my hand. As soon as I did it I knew I was in trouble. I looked at the cage and sure enough it was empty. I stood there frozen looking at the grass were I thought she might be and after about 30 seconds I heard her buzzing and about to leave the turf. I picked her up and put her on the top bar and she walked down between the frames. Another lesson well learned.