Default Lost 1/2 of a new package !!

I lost half of a new package of bees because they drowned. The hive top feeder didnt keep the bees out of the syrup and at least half drowned . Please be careful with the brown plastic feeders from Dadant.

Did they ship the white plastic covers with the feeders??

A lot of the hive top feeders have that problem. Most people go over them with silicon sealer to fix the problem. I just use buckets.

Default Feeders

I don't like too many feeders on the market. I think there is something to be said for feeding dry sugar. I had an old beekeeping buddy that fed his bees old candy he would get from suppliers. He would throw wrapper and all in the feeder.

Default Drowning bees

Yes i did install the covers but one was shorter than the others and they crawled around it . I was so upset but what to do.

Did you Push the white pegs hard inside the hole until they snapped in?Mine took enough push i though i was about to break something.

At least you don't have to bullet holes in your new hive like i do!!

Default drowning

I installed it right it was just too short . Dadant is shipping a new one.

another reason to use gallon pickle jars for feeders.

Been using Mann lake miller type feeders for a few years with very good results. I just buy the inserts and cut down any old beat up supers to the 4 3/4 size. I haven't had any bees drown in the feeders as of yet. Each holds 4 gallons of syrup. Just make sure your inner cover is bee tight. ( I use some duct tape over the cut out. ) good luck.

Default top feeders

I make all of my top feeders,the bees come up through a half inch slot across the bottom of feeder,up over into syurp container that has bubblewrap cut to same size of syurp container so that it floats on top of syurp.I also cut slits in the bubblewrap so syurp can seep up through slits.My feeders are the same size of a super but only 4 inches deep.The half inch slot divides the feeder into two compartments,one side about 4 to 6 inches wide for pollen supplement the other side for syurp.I also put a three eights shim on the bottom of the feeder and leave a top entrance hole in the front,I leave this open year round for vent.This has worked great for me.No more drowning.I also use screened bottom boards,

I use those same feeders and I have had that happen too.

I have also had a bunch of bees drown in them yet find the hive looking fine. I think the bees were robbers and found a crack under the cover and got in. It is very important to find a tight fitting cover.

I used HW cloth on one super and just covered the whole thing and put it on upside down so the HW cloth is just under the cover. I am able to fill the syrup by just pouring thru the mesh and the bees cannot get in even if the cover is a bit warped. This works great, the trouble is of course the mesh is expensive.
    Troy

Got any pics of your homemade feeders?