Hybrid View

Default Excalibur hive tool

Saw a new hive tool in one of the bee mags and was wondering if anyone knew of where to get one . The excalibur hive tool it is called.Checked most os the big suppliers with no luck.

They are still messing around with the tooling at the factory.

It is amazingly difficult to make something out of tool steel, when
    one must use one type of tool steel to cut the other type of tool steel.

Hang in there, we've got too many advance orders to not be
    pushing hard on this little project.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fischer View Post

How difficult would it be to make the hive tool out of stainless steel? The best hive tool that I have is a stainless hive tool from Bee Works.

http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/inde...&products_id=9

Excalibur is stainless steel.

A very nice grade of stainless - less "soft" than the one sold by BeeWorks
    (who buy theirs from Thorne, who have them made in Red China).
    I can bend one of those with my bare hands, and likely so can you if
    you put your mind to it.

Excalibur ain't gonna bend.

http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/inde...&products_id=8

I like this one better. I had one, but I lost it. I like the Italian ones from Brushy Mt. the best.

http://www.beeequipment.com/products.asp?pcode=591
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/inde...&products_id=8

I like this one better. I had one, but I lost it. I like the Italian ones from Brushy Mt. the best.

http://www.beeequipment.com/products.asp?pcode=591
    I like the Italian hive tool for separating the supers since the Italian hive tool is thinner than other hive tools. Howver, I do not use it for anything else. Do you use the Italian hive tool for all your manipulations? Please explain.

>Do you use the Italian hive tool for all your manipulations? Please explain.

Yes. You have to learn how to use it effectively since it is different. You can use the flat end as you do any hive tool, except you get more leverage. You use the hook any of several ways. You can hook it under the end of the frames (and being a smaller hook it goes in much easier than the Maxant version) and then you can actually pry against the rabbet as the force is in a downward direction unlike a regular hive tool which will break out the rabbet. Or you can pry against the frame next to it, if you prefer. The hook is small enough to get into tight places.

The one from beeworks is the Thorne version of the Maxant type. But it has a smaller hook (though not as small as the Italian) and it's stainless steel (unlike the Italian or the Maxant).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I agree Mike. I've had mine a long time. What it would take to bend it from use would be enormous, beyond any of my hive management practices.

Although, mine is from Maxant and if I understand you correctly, it's not stainless but steel? Hard for me to imagine the need for stainless as mine always has a thin coating of wax from use so rust isn't an issue.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-20-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I agree Mike. I've had mine a long time. What it would take to bend it from use would be enormous, beyond any of my hive management practices.

Although, mine is from Maxant and if I understand you correctly, it's not stainless but steel? Hard for me to imagine the need for stainless as mine always has a thin coating of wax from use so rust isn't an issue.
    The stainless steel hive tool from Bee Works is thinner and a joy to use!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fischer View Post

Actually most people cut tool steel with carbide, and in the case where you do need to use a cutter made of tool steel it usually has some type of Titanium coating on it. also, when cutting tool steel the part has not been through the hardening process like the cutter has and is pretty easy to cut..
    Now if this tool is actually made of stainless we have said all of this for nothing..stainless steel and tool steel are 2 different things..
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

Or they cut it, then harden it, then finish grind it.

I couple of regular hive tools but they set in my smoker box most of the time since I bought the 14 inch hive tool from Betterbee I really like this tool it has a lot of leverage can be used as a frame lifter and scraper the only thing that I did was dull it a little it was sharp enough to be used as wood plane and i just don't seem to leave it laying around so I don't forget it after I'm done