Thread: Help!!!!!

Default Help!!!!!

Just installed 2 packages yesterday @ 3:30PM CST. Today Property Owners kid shot 2 holes with 7MM Magnum Through one of the hive bodies. The bees seem OK but I do not know if the Queen is alive or dead. The time of day and super high winds won't let me in yet. I have extra hive bodies to replace the bullet ridden one I have now but Need input on what to do since the Queen probably has not been released yet.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. I THOUGHT OF JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE BUT BULLET HOLES WITHIN 24 HOURS OF HIVING!!!

Well, not much you can do right now until the weather cooperates. I'd deal with the kids, then with the bees. Hopefully, you can get in there soon and check on the queen, fix the equipment and move on. If it turns out that the queen cage is damaged, look hard for the queen before you order a new one. You don't want to introduce a new queen into a queenright hive.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Should I replace the entire hive body and transfer the caged queen to the new box? I could strangle that 25 year old kid>

If the weather is OK, sure. I would make sure that I have plenty of time to do it, since I'd want to look at the frames as well and make it all as right as possible. Ideally, you'd have a new hive body and extra frames. You can transfer any frames that are undamaged and shake the bees off of any damaged frames into the new hive body. If the queen is in her cage, put her in your pocket while you mess with the bees and then put her in at the end. If she's released, find her first and transfer her carefully so that you don't lose her. Since it's only a package and you don't have brood to worry about, the whole process shouldn't take long.

Assuming it did what most 7mm mags I've seen do, and pencil holed through the hive, then you have a 7mm entrance and exit hole and the bees will propolize the hole. If you have a large hole exiting, maybe you want to close it up with something. Odds are the queen is ok, but of course she could be dead. In about four days I'd open up and see what it all looks like.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Being non established will the bees survive for 3-5 days if the queen is dead?
    Till I get a new one??

Mr. Bush,

Should I wait that long to check it. The exit wound is Half Dollar Size with splintering

Yes, they'll survive.

I can't help but being a little "nervous" . I actually hived/helped hive 6 packages yesterday since their are 3 of us in our " get into bees" group. The bullet hole hive was a" pin point textbook perfection installation package". You couldn't ask for anyhting to go better and smoother. Thanks to Remington and idiot kids I'm nervous. Thanks Raven.

God Bless

You can check them now if you like. I just figure in a few days you can tell a little more as the bees will have cleaned up the stuff they can clean up and you can straighten out the rest. Meanwhile they can calm down.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yes, strangle the "kid". Any 25 year old is old enough to get his wallet out and pay you for your equipment, the time it took to assemble, and anything else you can think up.

I would have to agree with Ross. I would DEFINETLY have a heart to heart talk with the neighbors about personal property. You should be compensated for your time and money invested in the hives, not to mention the bees. It sounds like there isn't a lot of love lost between the neighbors and you anyway. If you can't get satisfaction from them I woul dinform them that you will be contacting the law.
    If you see me runnin' you'd better keep up!
    http://hillshivery.blogspot.com/

I agree with you Hills & Ross but I am more concerned about the bees than that dumb kid. I will make sure everything is OK for the bees FIRST. I will have that kid rob the supers with ZERO protection. NO SMOKER especially That will be funny enough!!

Been since Sunday. Weather not cooperating. Windy Cloudy and about 66 degrees right now. You folks think I ought to take a stab at a peak of the damage done buy the bullet??

I wouldn't be in a hurry, but you probably can.