Default new here please help!!

Just hived two packages last evening and could really use some support . I have so many questions!!

I'm using a top feeder and one of the entrance cover was shorter than the rest and some of my bee's are drowning . Would love to talk in person by phone if possible.. I've got so many questions.

Just enjoy watching the entrance for a week or so. I know it's hard not to open her up, but it's for the best.

Using a top feeder I always do my best to be sure there is no way the bees can inner the top. If necessary I will remove the inner cover while the top feeder is being used. Put some weight on top to hold it down tight against the top box. Sometimes they still get in and drown. If they continue to get in the top you might try feeding with a quart jar inside an empty hive body. Simply punch some small holes in the lid and turn it upside down inside an empty hive body. This seems to stop the robbers for me.
    Baggie feeders also work well,,,, Instead of a jar, take a gallon ziploc bag, pour it 2/3 full of sugar water. Place this in an empty super on top and make a couple of 2-3 inch slits with a razor blade.

I staple window screen over my hive top feeders. I can pour the syrup right thru it and it keeps the bees out.

did you ever think about using the can that comes with the package?

you speak of hive top feed/entrance cover.... I am unfamilar with these????

Welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by hsbcapt View Post
    Just hived two packages last evening and could really use some support . I have so many questions!!
    welcome to beesource. You just found the largest group of beekeeping addicts in the world. Any support needed is just a mouse click away. ask and you shall receive a variety of opinions and Ideas that you, yes you yourself can choose from. With that said. I dont use commercial hive top feeders. I use 3 quart walmart pickle jars on top of the top bars. Cheap easy and you get the added bonus of pickles to eat. Using these I have yet to have a bee get inside and drown. The girls might be smart but they havent figured that one out yet. Now that I have added my 2 cents Im willing to bet you will have a page of good advise going in different directions for you to scan over and decide what to do next. By the end of the day

Default top feeders

I had the same proplem.I cut a peice of bubblewrap the same size of the syurp container so it cuold float on top of the syurp,I also cut slits in the bubblewarp so bees could access syurp in the middle and around edges.I works good for me.Hope this helps.