Exclamation - Using The Quote Feature -

The quote feature, where the entire contents of another post is pasted into a responding post, is being abused of late. The feature is there to use with proper control, but members are simply including entire quoted posts in their postings. This isn't like an email discussion list where one doesn't have the previous email content in front of them. The message you are replying to is often just one or two postings above, in full view.

If members don't start exercising some restraint in this area, I'll have no choice but to disable the quote function.
    Regards, Barry

Smile quote

its too complicated for an old geezer so i just cut and paste the parts i'm refering to and add my own quotation marks
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Good point Barry! Nothing more annoying than scrolling down quotes
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

personally I find it annoying when people here put a ">" in a messy post and expect me to make sense of it.

too much quotation vs. board clutter.

my choice would not be clutter.
    Last edited by arthur; 04-14-2008 at 11:46 PM.

No one is advocating clutter. But too much quotation will no longer be accepted.
    Regards, Barry

Regards, Barry

Default What is the proper way to do that Quote thing?

Berry,
    What is the way you want us to post then if the "Q" comes up when you reply to the Question. Is their a way to just ansure the Question with out the "Q" box showing up in the ansure?
    I tried to go below the "Q" box but the box is still there? If I'm to stop this then what do I do?
    Lee....

Default OK, I think I have figured it out.

Berry,
    I've got' the problem solved! I go to the top of the page and hit the reply not the persons question or cut the "Q"out of the message.
    Lee...

Quote Originally Posted by beemanlee View Post
    Berry,
    What is the way you want us to post then if the "Q" comes up when you reply to the Question. Is their a way to just ansure the Question with out the "Q" box showing up in the ansure?
    I tried to go below the "Q" box but the box is still there? If I'm to stop this then what do I do?
    Lee....
    Lee -

Another way to do it (how I do it) is to still use the "quote" button at the bottom of the post you want to reply to, which copies into your reply the entire message with the quote coding at the beginning and end, and then simply highlight and delete everything that isn't essential to your reply. If you need to cut it up into several quoted sections, simply copy and paste the quote coding ({quote}. . .text. . .{/quote}*) as needed.

* where { } are shown, replace with [ ]

If you don't need to include text from a previous post, yes, use the "reply" button.
    Regards, Barry

({quote}. . .text. . .{/quote}*) as needed.

* where { } are shown, replace with [ ]
    I've got a button that puts that in for me above where I'm typing. It is the square cartoon speaking box to the left of the # button.

Just highlight the text and press the button, or press the button and paste between the quote tags.

The downside is that it doesn't have the link to the original post, like the quote all does, but I don't usually have any problems with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ScadsOBees View Post
    I've got a button that puts that in for me above where I'm typing. It is the square cartoon speaking box to the left of the # button.
    That works IF the user has chosen "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG editing" in their User CP under Edit Options at the bottom under "Miscellaneous Options."
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    ...still use the "quote" button ...then simply highlight and delete everything that isn't essential to your reply. If you need to cut it up into several quoted sections, simply copy and paste the quote coding ({quote}. . .text. . .{/quote}*) as needed.
    That's the way I've been trying to do it. I love the quote feature, it saves me time, and it also consolidates it into a nice box.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you don't need to include text from a previous post, yes, use the "reply" button.
    Or just address the member that your replying to, and people can go back a read his original post.
    Beaches' Bee-Haven Apiary http://beachesbeehaven.com
    Aiken Beekeepers Association http://aikenbeekeepers.org