Question Fogging Question

I have used my fogger several times with thymol this season. I would like to continue to fog with my honey supper on. Can I do this after I clean the fogger? Will hot soap and water get the plastic container clean enough so I may use just straight FGMO? Or would it be better to purchase a new fogger for straight FGMO only? I realize one is not to use the thymol with the honey suppers on.

thanks,
    Corinne

I would think the cleaning would be fine. Thymol is used in listerine after all- its not toxic if well diluted. Apparently thymol used at low concentrations doesnt end up in the honey or in the comb in any significant level. This is what I have heard.

Default fogging with FGMO does not work

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/pub..._no_115=169445

Technical Abstract: Food grade mineral oil (FGMO) applied with an insect fogger was evaluated for varroa mite control in honey bee colonies by comparison to an industry standard, coumaphos strips, and an untreated control group (eight colonies per treatment group). During the six-week test period, the Varroa populations increased in untreated colonies and those treated with FGMO, while those treated with coumaphos strips decreased greatly and, consequently, averaged 96.1 to 99.4% fewer Varroa than the untreated colonies at the end of the test period, by the alcohol wash and sticky board methods, respectively. In addition to providing no control for Varroa, FGMO applied in an insect fogger may pose a fire and/or health hazard to beekeepers and bees.

John Jones
    Stone Mountain, Georgia

The answer to your question is YES. FGMO for tracheal mites, thymol for varroa. You can pay a high price for thymol in other forms for varroa. You can use high priced menthol for tracheal, or, you can fog with oil for T-mites or oil and thymol for both.

Default Foggers

I am having a harder time than expected, finding an inexpensive fogger. Any suggestions on brands?

Default fogers

"Menards" carries them but I dont if they have them this late in the season.

I have used FGMO fog for several years now (not as often as I should) and I am seeing verry few mites this year.

"in a 6 week test period" come on is that realy a test "Doc Rod" worked on this for years
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Default 50 dollar fogger

I bought one at Home Depot for 49.00. It is an electric Black Flag. It works great.

Zane........... Bonide is great as well and often found
    cheaper than Burgess or Black Flag. Mine has performed
    flawlessly for a long time.

This time of year they are usually pretty cheap on ebay.
    And if you tell them to keep the included insecticide they
    may reduce shipping.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-BONIDE-PROPA...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Village-Blacksmi...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a Burgess never used and still in the box. I'd take $40 for it and buyer pays for shipping.
    Regards, Barry

Saw Bonide foggers at Walmart today. Don't remember the price but thought it was reasonable.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by golddust-twins View Post
    I have used my fogger several times with thymol this season. I would like to continue to fog with my honey supper on. Can I do this after I clean the fogger? Will hot soap and water get the plastic container clean enough so I may use just straight FGMO? Or would it be better to purchase a new fogger for straight FGMO only? I realize one is not to use the thymol with the honey suppers on.

thanks,
    Corinne
    I have used FGMO for years and added Thymol and found no residue in the hives, comb or honey. If you want to switch back to just FGMO you canjust replace the container (a pint glass canning jar works well and fits the threads good) just purge the unit with several puffs to purge the burner then use it. The test that said FGMO does not work was sponcered by the company that makes the chemical strips. (no names here) For 5 years just fogging 500 hives with FGMO WORKED GREAT for ME.
    Clint
    Clinton Bemrose<br />just South of Lansing Michigan<br />Beekeeping since 1964