Default time table for drawing out frames

I have two hives that I started as packages about 1-2 weeks ago. I am feeding both with sugar syrup, one with a hive top feeder, and the other with inverted cans. The one with the inverted cans used to have a hive-top (beemax) feeder until I checked on one vs the other and there were no bees in that one vs tons on the other.

I started both hives with starter strips of small cell from dadant and so they are only working on about 6 of the 10 frames, and they have only drawn out a small amount of each strip and only a few cells down from that. I have a screened bottom board in both (but only one has a removable tray). In the tray I find a lot of wax scale, like they dropped it or something...

Am I rushing them too much, should I just take it easy? I saw eggs in the one hive, and larvae in the other, so I think the queens are ok. I am also giving them pollen patties, but they are slowly bringing in some pollen.

Thanks for any words of encouragement.

-Mike

>Am I rushing them too much, should I just take it easy?

I never saw a bee that would follow my time table. A lot of being able to draw wax is not only a supply of nectar/syrup, but warm weather so they can work the wax. As the weather warms up I think you'll see them take more syrup (because they can't take cold syrup and if it gets below 50 F at night the syrup sometimes never gets above 50 F in the daytime) and see them draw more comb.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Bees hang from the top and make wax, sometimes the wax scales drop to the bottom . The bees use to go down and pick them up, don't know happens with screen bottoms.

Default might be the temperature

Yeah, we just had one of the first 70* days around here. Now its gonna drop down to the 50's again, so that totally makes sense. The good thing is that my bees are on an asphalt rooftop, so they do seem to get plenty warm when the sun is out. I'll give them some more time before I start calling them names.

-mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Hodges View Post
    Bees hang from the top and make wax, sometimes the wax scales drop to the bottom . The bees use to go down and pick them up, don't know happens with screen bottoms.
    That's a new one to me. Why don't they go down and pick up wax from where they uncapped honey cells too?

I don't know. I had an observation hive years ago and use to watch the bees go down and pick up the little wax scales. I often wondered myself why they don't reuse old wax.

I hived packages of MH about 2 weeks ago Sunday. 5 colonies have already drawn out 8 frames. Have been feeding with a Boardman feeder constantly. The hives had Dadant Small Cell foundation in the center 5 frames and Dadant Medium Brood on the outside. They seem to like that configuration. Although the nights are cool now, after I hived them we had about 1 1/2 weeks of exceptional weather. Around 50 5to 55 at night and warming to as much as 80 during the day. This probably helped with the uptake of the syrup and wax production. Checked them Saturday and the strong ones already had 1 1/2 frames of capped brood.

I had the same problem with the hivetop feeders on packages. Had two colonies move to the Boardman feeders. Curious.