Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ive always stayed home!
    1968 - 2008
    @14% this year NOT like last @85%
    Last edited by themrbee; 04-05-2008 at 04:19 PM.

after the frog drown'in storm friday, the sun came out today and it was simply beautiful. the girls ARE flyin' strong. for today, a peak here and there...and then just stand back and let the girls do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Mike, would you have a Northern raised "survivor" queen that I could buy from you, in a nuc, so I can raise queens that might have a better chance of making it through the winter in NY?

How was the SABA meeting? Maybe this was answered somewhere else.
    I'll have daughter queens. Some when I dequeen the mating nucs in early June, or when I have the first round of queens. The VSHxCarni's wintered very well. Haven't checked on my nucs with my old stock yet. This coming week I'll get to those. I can have something for you late May, early June.

Didn't go to SABA this year. I've been doing a ton of meetings this winter. Couldn't drive to another.

Mark,
    You can't quit migrating yet, we still have to get together for barbecue! I'll be down with my minions April 17 to do splits and hopefully pull honey. The march 21 trip was a slam dance 2 day get through every frame, medicated and do a yard clean up. The farmer was literally running a controlled forest fire to clear land. Never saw anything like it!
    If you're still in Dixie I'll give you a call.

Yesterday I was in the Big Apple on a day that the forecast said Rain, Rain and more rain. It was an absolutely beautiful spring day, we did a new market and had a great day in the sun!

Big Grin

Played with some grumpy bees today. If you think your Europeans get grumpy, then you don't know what a gumpy bee is!!!.

We inspected and added supers to some of our foul tempered Africanized honeybee colonies out in our remote desert apiaries. Got a real buzz!! Myr Africanized bee suit from Glory Bee Foods performed great as usual. Not a single sting.

Checked some of our nice and friendly European nucs that Southwest Bee Supply and I purchased a couple weeks ago here in southern Arizona near Tucson.

Here are a few short video clips of what it is like to play with the grumpy African ladies:

http://www.goldendelighthoney.com/Be...s/MOV08619.MPG

http://www.goldendelighthoney.com/Be...s/MOV08624.MPG

http://www.goldendelighthoney.com/Be...s/MOV08620.MPG

Creosotebush is blooming and palo verde just beginning to bloom. Catclaw acacia and mesquite not far behind.
    James Henderson
    Golden Delight Honey; 225-803-5406 (cell)

Quote Originally Posted by James Henderson View Post
    Played with some grumpy bees today. If you think your Europeans get grumpy, then you don't know what a gumpy bee is!!!.

We inspected and added supers to some of our foul tempered Africanized honeybee colonies out in our remote desert apiaries. Got a real buzz!! Myr Africanized bee suit from Glory Bee Foods performed great as usual. Not a single sting.

Checked some of our nice and friendly European nucs that Southwest Bee Supply and I purchased a couple weeks ago here in southern Arizona near Tucson.

Here are a few short video clips of what it is like to play with the grumpy African ladies:

http://www.goldendelighthoney.com/Be...s/MOV08619.MPG

http://www.goldendelighthoney.com/Be...s/MOV08624.MPG

http://www.goldendelighthoney.com/Be...s/MOV08620.MPG

Creosotebush is blooming and palo verde just beginning to bloom. Catclaw acacia and mesquite not far behind.
    Hey James, a little smoke wouldn't hurt huh? lol, no seriously, a little smoke wouldn't hurt would it?

Hey, one of the swarms you referred me on last yr in Pearl River is kickn' butt big time, Already made a couple of splits from 'em. I had to go 37' up and hug a chimney stack to get 'em, but man they were worth it!!!

...JP

Joel,
    I'll still be here. Give me a call. I'll either be near Conway or Manning. See ya soon.

We're having another beekeepers get together tonight at Ryans in Conway at 7PM.

Gotta get back to the bees.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Today we worked a full day in four yards taking off brood and making nucs w/ QCs, supering some in the next yard where we left the nucs. Equalizing brood, making up deadouts and dronelayers and supering in the third yard. Checking for laying queens in singles and equalizing brood in the story and a halfs and then supering them in the fourth yard.

Then we went to the best yard of all and convened another session of New York's best little beekeepers club, at Kennys' Barbecue in Hemingway SC. There were about 14 of us, including Jim from Latta, SC and Joel of Beesource "fame", his helper and his son. David and Janice Green of Hemingway were there too. The rest were the usual suspects. We spent about 2.5 hours eating BBQ and Seafood, talking bees (of course), making new acquaintances and catching up w/ old friends.

A good time was had by all and if anyone went away hungry or thirsty it was their own fault.

The next meeting will be 6:30 PM next saturday at Kenny's in Hemingway, SC. Ya'll come now. Heya?

We got the semi loaded last wednesday and left the yard about 9 PM. We drove until 1 AM and slept. Got up at 6AM and drove until I had to sleep again. Friday morning at 5AM we arrived in Peru,NY and unloaded the bees into their orchard locations all in one day. This usually takes me five days and 1,000 miles of driving after I've already driven 1,000 miles to get home from SC.

If the trucker is available when it's time to take the bees out of the orchards I'll use him again. If not, I'll do it the old way, driving 100 miles, loading the truck and driving home, getting up the next morning, before the bees start flying, and taking them to their summer yards. Then doing that trip again and again until they are all home where they should be.