Thread: Router Advice

Default Router Advice

I finally decided to add a router to my table saw. What are the main things I should be looking for when choosing one, and do you have any advice on brand and source?
    Thanks a million.
    Daniel
    ...If you can meet Triumph and Disaster and treat those two impostors just the same...

Default simple solution

2 hp router , table mounted, with adjustable fence, don't really need a plunge feature. Just need a square cut bit and adjust the fence for either 3/8s or 3/4 cut. also have it be one that can be adjusted without having to take it out of its mount. visit on the web routerdepot.com has everything you could want. jim

Quote Originally Posted by ffblaschke View Post
    routerdepot.com has everything you could want. jim
    Are you sure you don't mean http://www.routertabledepot.com/ instead

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

I have a couple of shapers, so I really don't need or want a really big router. I bought the 2 hp Dewalt with both the plunge and the fixed base. It does everything I need.
    Last edited by Ross; 03-31-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Default oops

Keith,
    You are correct, I left out the table part. My bad. good catch

Default $$$

If you've got the bucks, go for something new with plenty of power. I assume you're thinking of cutting large rabbetts and dados, maybe raised panels? Consider the option of collet size, and what you want to accomplish. I use routers so often that I have 5 that I've gathered along the way. One table mounted all the time, the other four so I don't have to be bothered changing bits. The most I paid for any was around $50 for a nice used old all metal Rockwell with interchangeable bases. You'll be amazed at how handy you find a router once you start using it. You'll want to rout everything in sight. Don't skimp on bits. Like a table saw, purchase good carbide bits and they will last a long time.

Porter Cable all the way for me. One with interchangeble bases.
    Rob

It isn't just the power it's the mass. The smaller machines will do the job nicely, but a larger machine allows for larger bits and less vibration. The 3hp PorterCable soft start, five speed (#7518) would be one of the more versatile machines. High speed for small bits and lower speeds for the big cutters. PorterCable is nice because they make a good product and the guide bushings fit their bases. Also, because these machines are very popular, companies that make attachments often target this machine (router lifters, bases, bushings, etc..). I purchase 1/2 bits whenever possible because they last longer and have less chatter. Which ever router you choose, make certain to get 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets.

I second HVH and BB's advice. Porter Cable, either 7518 or 7539 for power, and/or 690 series in interchangeable bases for lighter duty. I have two 7539's - one in a table, one permanently mounted for a FMT. And I have a 690 for free-running along edges and dado's. Only get high-quality, 1/2" shaft if possible, bits. Whiteside is in my opinion the best bit manufacturer. Freud aren't bad either.

www.tylertool.com has very good prices on tools. Most recon tools sold there are basically returns - no defects, just returned to stores for whatever reason.

Get a shaper when you get in the business of making loads of stuff, unless you inherit some money and want to get it out of your wallet. In that case, send me some - I'll in turn send you a nice thank-you note!

MM