Question How can breweries sell it so cheap ????

I have been upping the level ( OG) of fermentables in my homebrew. Now, when I do the math, I am trying to get near 8.0 ABV. I end up coming up about 10.00$ dollars more per 6 gallon batch than buying ???? I can get a 6 pack of scottish ale for 8.65$ ???

What gives ???

Is the markup on malt extract that high ??? Are they using sugar to up the percent of alcohol ????

I think it's the markup on extract
    I've never done all grain but I think it can be a lot cheaper once you have the equipment

Dave

Are you maybe comparing a Scottish Ale to a Strong Scotch Ale?
    At 8.0 ABV it looks like you're wanting to brew a Strong Scotch Ale. A Strong Scotch Ale will have about double the ABV of a Scottish Ale. That increase in ABV requires a substantial increase in fermentables and will be much more expensive to brew.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.html

If you are using liquid yeast you can save a substantial portion of the cost by reusing your yeast. If you like Scottish Ales it would be a good idea to brew a Scottish Ale then use that yeast cake to brew your Strong Scotch Ale. You will get a great fermentation and cut your yeast cost in half.

I haven't priced extract lately but I know the price of hops has gone through the roof. You're lucky you're brewing Scottish Ales and not IPAs!

George

Your local homebrew shop has about a 300% markup for small volumes of extract which are expensive to inventory, ship and produce. Try buying extract in bulk or take the plunge and go for all grain brewing.

Aspera

any idea where one could buy extract in bulk?
    I'd like to make the all grain plunge but probably not for a while

Dave

[edit] never mind, I see northern brewers has it

Dry malt extract in 55# boxes.

Grape and Granary in Ohio.

http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/2,1500.html

Homebrew adventures in North Carolina.

http://www.homebrewadventures.com/sh...NG-dme-x-light

Yeah, a lot of the expense is the extract. It's wort that then has to have most of the moisture driven out under near-vacuum, and as we know it's a huge hassle to handle and package. All-grain can really be done pretty cheaply if you use the plastic bucket Zapap-style mash and lauter tun. I make 10 gallons for about 30 to 40 bucks, and I don't reuse liquid yeast anymore and go for quality hops. Breweries of course have an economy of scale.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mattoleriver View Post
    Are you maybe comparing a Scottish Ale to a Strong Scotch Ale?
    At 8.0 ABV it looks like you're wanting to brew a Strong Scotch Ale. A Strong Scotch Ale will have about double the ABV of a Scottish Ale. That increase in ABV requires a substantial increase in fermentables and will be much more expensive to brew.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.html

If you are using liquid yeast you can save a substantial portion of the cost by reusing your yeast. If you like Scottish Ales it would be a good idea to brew a Scottish Ale then use that yeast cake to brew your Strong Scotch Ale. You will get a great fermentation and cut your yeast cost in half.

I haven't priced extract lately but I know the price of hops has gone through the roof. You're lucky you're brewing Scottish Ales and not IPAs!

George
    Wow 300% ; I understand the weak USD$ and why malts produced in europe are expensive, but usa made malt extracts are just as high.

Got the hop thing covered. I have a 12yr old cascade vine; just planted 2 nuggets and 2 sterlings rhizomes; so next year I will be set.

I was trying to brew a copy of McQwens ( sp) ?????

used to be brewing homebrew was fun , cost saving venture

Listermann's has a pretty good price on bulk LME and ships (UPS) free on orders of $35+ east of the Mississippi.
    http://www.listermann.com/Store/products.asp?id=20

George