Default CCD, GMOs and Bee Intestines

Dear Folks,

Been following CCD from the beginning. Maybe we are getting closer to the
    truth and it ain't going to be pretty. Hopefully we can change course but I
    am not optimistic. Science doesn't have a pill for greed. Throw on top of this
    all the bats dieing in the Northwest and the picture becomes much clearer.
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...xt=va&aid=8436

Best.

Frank

What a load of crap.

GMO cropping usage is world wide, can you specifically associate GM cropping practices with colony deaths? As far as I have heard, CCD has only been associated with large scale losses (CCD losses follow very specific symtoms) out of California.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I started laughing as soon as I read that it mentioned the biotech companies have plotted with a conspiracy to distract the public with cell phone claims causing CCD. I think most reasonable researchers, and the average beekeeper themselves, dismissed this in about a minute of deep thought.

Although speckled with certain facts, much of it is slanted toward conclusions and parallel cause and effect issues with no real proof beyond speculation. I did catch that it was an "essay" which involves sometimes writing a paper and using facts or footnotes that are intended to sway, inform, or impress something upon its readers.

I found it rather amateurish, lacking facts, and generally agenda driven. Of course realizing who was publishing it, it only made sense.

Its an essay....not a research paper. Its an essay,,,just a grouping of random and sometimes not even supported facts. I love the part "I will argue....."

Thanks for posting it.

Suddenly there seems to be an influx of anti agrabusiness subscribers to this fourm. I wonder what Greeny fourm they come from?
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    As far as I have heard, CCD has only been associated with large scale losses ... out of California.
    The beekeeper in Union City, PA who lost 1190 of his 1200 hives might beg to differ.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    The beekeeper in Union City, PA who lost 1190 of his 1200 hives might beg to differ.
    Yes, that may be true.

Can you also say....

He was not a migratory beekeeper?

He did not use home concoctions and illegally labeled chemicals?

He did not have comb dating 20 or 30 years?

BTW, isn't that the guy still selling off those combs and boxes?

Some people, actually say they saved some hives by radiating them. I am skeptical of that claim. (lets save that for another time) But lets assume CCD IS neonicotinoids poisoning, GMO related problems, pesticide buildup in comb.....or anything else you want to suggest. Tell me why I should give a hoot of a beekeeper who just may "beg to differ", when he is selling this same equipment, comb and frames, off to any beekeeper who bites on his advertisements? I know his advertisement suggests no such safeguard concerning those combs in radiation or a clean bill of health.

If he trusts that its one thing or another, and that his comb is healthy enough to pass along to the beekeeping industry in general, than surely he KNOWS exactly what the issue is. Ironic, that if he did have the answer, then why not just correct the problem and continue on?

And you somehow suggest that this is a person who one should seek answers concerning this CCD mess? Surely now....get real! Sorry to say.....I beg to differ!

Well, since when is CCD an issue only in California? I've never heard that before.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

We havnt seen it up here yet. Nor have they seen it in any of the countries in Europe or South America,

I reffered to California, yes, the hive do come from across the country, get my drift.
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    Well, since when is CCD an issue only in California? I've never heard that before.
    I agree!

I never heard that, but I did however read it once. Click on the link and read post #2.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...d=1#post303959

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    We havnt seen it up here yet. Nor have they seen it in any of the countries in Europe or South America,

I reffered to California, yes, the hive do come from across the country, get my drift.
    I got it.

Default Ccd

Hi, well for some us who do speak more than one language and do keep up with bee happenings in other countries, let me assure you that CCD is of major concern there, I mean Europe, and the fingers have definitely pointed in the direction of imidaclopoids (sic)
    and the use of genetically engineered seeds for food crops. In particular the engineered corn seeds have been in the discussions several times.

Keep in mind that corn is wind pollinated, and bees really only seem to use corn pollen when nothing else is available.

I see some potential blame for loss of pollinators with GM crops, but not in the way that's being bandied about on this thread. The loss I see lies in the increased use of glyphosate (RoundUp) on RoundUp-Ready crops leading to fewer weeds, and, therefore, to fewer weed flowers. With the reduced number and diversity of flowers from those weeds in crop fields, the impact on pollinators may be significant.

But that's more a reflection of increased reliance on herbicide than a reflection of GM crops, I believe.

As far as the rest of it, eastern South Dakota has had more than 80 percent of its farmed acres planted in GM crops since 2000. If GM crops are the cause of CCD, why haven't all the honey bees here died from CCD, and why didn't those losses begin appearing long before 2006?

> "The biotech companies have plotted with a conspiracy to distract
    > the public with cell phone claims causing CCD."

Yeah, that was perhaps the biggest joke of the year.

I was the one to "break" that story for the International Herald Tribune,
    not that I ever got paid much of anything or got any credit. It sure did
    not involve any pesticide companies.

Let's see...

The Guardian, a UK newspaper, did a poor job of translating some fairly
    clearly-written German in a paper presented at a Canadian symposium on
    electronics. They misread "cordless phone" as "cell phone", and they neglected to notice some very very poor experiment design which ignored
    the difference between a forager (which knows its way back to the hive)
    and a newly-emerged bee, which has yet to orient itself to the hive location at all.

Der Spiegel (a german newspaper) took great delight in debunking the
    bungled reporting by The Guardian, and set the record straight. No big
    surprise, they speak German fluently in Germany.

Worse yet, no one bothered to ask the authors of the paper, who would
    have explained that they had no intention of doing more than trying to
    test the impact of CORDLESS HOME PHONES. They never used any cell phones, which use different frequencies and different power levels.

Regardless, the story still has a life of its own.
    For some reason, fiction lives on, while fact needs to be put on life support
    and coddled along. I blame the lack of basic science education for most
    people.

Make your kids take four full years of science in high school.
    They will thank you later.

Did anyone notice that the picture is of a bumble bee and not a honey bee?

I once read an article about Top Bar Hives.
    The picture used was of a man holding a Langstroth frame.
    Tai
    ECBA Essex County Beekeeping Association #;~)