Default Why use quality lumber and crappy nails/screws?

I often wonder why I see beekeepers make their own hives using quality lumber (Cedar, Sassafras, select grade woods) and use such crappy/ugly nails/screws like galvanized?

Word of advice...if you put the effort into making your own hives, using quality wood, and want the hive to stand for a LONG time please consider using quality nails/screws like brass or copper.

"crappy/ugly nails/screws like galvanized?"

Cause they last longer and cost a lot less than brass or copper wich most are only coated!
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

• Stronger
    • Rust resistant
    • Less expensive
    • No predrilling required; faster to assemble
    • Going to paint the boxes anyway
    • Bees haven't objected

Quote Originally Posted by MapMan View Post
    Bees haven't objected
    And they really they have the last word.

If you're super interested in something that lasts longest, you go with stainless steel. But of course that would be gross overkill.

Keith
    Bee Sting Honey - So Good, It Hurts!

I read somewhere that the copper breaks down the UV protection in paints and stains.

Last longer then solid copper nails? I find that hard to believe. I can buy a box of 300 decorative copper nails (1 1/2") for about $15.00. If I am going to be making a nice looking beehive, my own design, and using quality wood then solid copper decorative nails will look the best and last the longest...IMHO.

I am not making these hives using poor grades of lumber...cheapest stuff gathered to stick bees in. These are going to be decorative modifed Warre Hives using Mortise and Tenon joints, organic Pine Tar and decorative solid copper nails. My hives will not cost as much as a full Lang hive...if bought, but will look much better and using Sassafras along with other quality materials will stand the test of time. These hives will still be in great shape 100 years from now and still housing healthy bees that are producing organic honey/combs.

thx

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    "crappy/ugly nails/screws like galvanized?"

Cause they last longer and cost a lot less than brass or copper wich most are only coated!

"These hives will still be in great shape 100 years from now and still housing healthy bees that are producing organic honey/combs."

From Mr GreenThumb III my great great granddy made these hives a hundred years ago
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Are you hand cutting/chiseling the M&T's? Sounds like fun! Please post pictures when you have them completed, mistergreenthumb. I'd sure like to see them!

Thanks!

MM