Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What is this swarm doing?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  xC0000005 
#1 ·
I hived one of my own swarms Wednesday ( 3 days ago). They have been in a deep since that time and I fed syrup over the inner cover. Today I went out and put on a new jar of syrup and some pollen sub patty. I then commenced to cutting the grass. After the second time around the feild with the lawnmower, I noticed this same swarm was leaving the hive and I watched as they settled on the same limb as before but only about 6 foot higher this time. I stood there thinking of a way to get to them and then went back to the house to get the tractor and ladder and other stuff I would need. I went back out in about 10-15 minutes and the bees had gone back into the hive again! The only thing I can think of is that the lawnmower put out some vibrations that the bees did not like. I was glad they came home as that was a big swarm and I took several stings around my ankles when I caught them the first time.( forgot my duct tape) Has anyone ever seen anything similar to this happen?

#6 ·
In Mexico I watched a group "tang" a swarm by impersonating the marching band from hell. The beekeeper there claimed that the noise would rile the other hives to the point of them absconding. I did not witness this but the other hives did wind up crawling all over the hives to the point where they were dripping with bees.

Take it for what it's worth.

#5 ·
Bees want to leave

The scout bees have a strong urge to move to their new home that they have selected. I find a little insurance helps. Always pull a frame of eggs from another hive and put it with the swarm. This will hold them in their new box. This especially true if you place a new swarm within 1 mile of where you pick it up. Don't look for new eggs in the hive that just swarmed. Remember the queen has shut down egg laying in preperation for the move.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.