Hybrid View

Default Copper to protect wood?

https://host262.ipowerweb.com/~coppe...d6bf802fd45411

Had anyone used this stuff before...for beehives? I read, on their page, that it can be used on beehives, but is it safe and effective?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenThumb View Post
    https://host262.ipowerweb.com/~coppe...d6bf802fd45411

Had anyone used this stuff before...for beehives? I read, on their page, that it can be used on beehives, but is it safe and effective?

thx

I'd stay away from this product. Look at material safety data sheet on the site. Lots of safer products for you and the bees,like acrylic latex,very safe. I'm a painter and I wouldn't use on my hives.

Thx for the reply. I was thinking along the same line as you...this stuff should be avoided for beehive woodenware protection.

I think if you do a search of the forums, you will find quite a few people that use copper napthenate on their hives. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontatro View Post
    I think if you do a search of the forums, you will find quite a few people that use copper napthenate on their hives. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Any thing that can raise a blister on you could be a problem. Why take a chance if you don't have to, people react to chemicals in different ways. I still say, go the safe and easy route.

There are a lot of coatings out there that would do a great job, but if you don't have the safety equip. or the know how, stay away.