Thread: wash or not

Default wash or not

when you are bottleing honey into new bottles, do you wash the new bottles first or are they clean from the factory.:confused:

Any container that I put a food product into is washed / sanitized prior to use. It doesn't matter whether it is honey, pickles, beer, jelly, or tomatos. It is all cleaned first.

Fuzzy

Let's put it this way...

Everything is as clean as a factory!

(With that in mind, it sort of makes you want to wash new socks before you wear them, huh?)

DS

I wash my new bottles in the dishwasher before using

I do wash my new socks prior to wearing, too.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

I have one of those dishwashers that heats the final rinse to sanitize everything, so the bottles go through a wash and sanitize rinse. At the end, they're hot enough to dry completely without too much effort. I figure it's worth the trouble.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Default Confession

All right if nobdy else will confess I will. Never even considered washing them.Last year was my first year and we had very little honey and it all stayed within the family and a few friends. This year I will wash because I"ll be selling my crop. Any other brave ones out there? Happy Easter

One really should wash such bottles, as they are lightly coated with the mold release spray used at the factory. Compare a washed and a not washed jar and the release coating is readily visible.

We wash ours, have a dishwasher dedicated to that purpose. But we are the only one I know who does so. In NYS honey (and maple syrup) facilities are exempt from food inspection. But I wonder what goes on in states where honey houses are inspected, especially those states where the inspection is the responsibility of the Health Department? Can anyone elighten me?

Our dishwasher will handle 25-50 jars at a time, depending on the size. Each load takes about 90 minutes, mostly because of drying time. There are restaurant grade washers available that do the job in less than 10 minutes...but they cost several thousand dollars.
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

Wash! Absolutely! Our state's food processing laws requires it if you intend to sell honey.

what about the lid that comes with the seal in side of it?

Default I cannot tell a lie....

Quote Originally Posted by Jas0n Bresson View Post
    All right if nobdy else will confess I will. . Any other brave ones out there? Happy Easter
    I have only washed jars and lids that were in storage but not jars that came right out of the packaging brand new. Always assumed that they came sterilized or something. But I realize my the error now and will change my process! Trouble is, I use a plastic bottle from Sailors Plastics that I have always just used right out of the box (bottles are in a big sealed bag) but now me thinks I should be sanitizing these too. I wouldn't want to wash them in the dishwasher though for fear of warping them.
    What do you think? I could sanitize them with B-brite like I do for my beer and wine bottles before I bottle my homebrew.