Default Copper nails...how they hold up in weather?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41324

My guess is good but I could be wrong. I am making some modified vertical TBHs with Sassafrass and REALLY hate the look of galvanized nails. So, I was thinking about decorative copper nails. Will be using them to hold together the mortise and tenon in the corners.

How do copper nails hold up? Any experiances?

thx

They will hold up fine - like any exposed copper they will eventually get a green petina but it is just a surface oxidation. On the down site they are very soft - plan on predrilling or they will bend.

Another option might be to go with a stainless steel nail. These are often used with wood siding where you don't want galvinized either for rust or discoloration of the wood around the nail. These can be found either in plain stainless (bright silver) or coated with different colors.

T

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenThumb View Post
    http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41324

My guess is good but I could be wrong. I am making some modified vertical TBHs with Sassafrass and REALLY hate the look of galvanized nails. So, I was thinking about decorative copper nails. Will be using them to hold together the mortise and tenon in the corners.

How do copper nails hold up? Any experiances?

thx

Sorry, no experience with them, but I've used brass on outdoor stuff. You will have to pre-drill holes for them, and there is some technique to using them properly with the roves - they are essentially rivets. They will last about 100 years, no kidding.

Good source of varied sizes - I have purchased from them for all sorts of specialty items:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com

MM

I can't see this situation in woodenware, but be aware that you could get a galvanic reaction if you use copper nails in contact with steel, stainless steel, or aluminum metal.

Copper nails are the traditional method of attaching slate roofing, but the nails are not exposed in that case.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

They use them for boat construction, so you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone 369 View Post
    They will hold up fine - like any exposed copper they will eventually get a green petina but it is just a surface oxidation. On the down site they are very soft - plan on predrilling or they will bend.

Another option might be to go with a stainless steel nail. These are often used with wood siding where you don't want galvinized either for rust or discoloration of the wood around the nail. These can be found either in plain stainless (bright silver) or coated with different colors.

T
    T-Bone got it right,go for it

Default They're used on boats...

Take a look at Jamestown Distributors . They are a major supplier of marine fasteners.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...