Thread: spraying latex

Default spraying latex

I want to shoot some latex house paint through an air gun
    I'm actually painting a shed not boxes but same difference
    do you need to thin it or do you just shoot it straight out of the can?

Thanks
    Dave

I'm actually painting boxes right now with a Wagner Paint Crew air gun. Using Behr Exterior latex, it worked fine out of the can. The air gun has a .17 orifice. Different sizes may require thinning. You can put out a lot of paint in a hurry. Took me less than 10 minutes to paint boxes and about 1 hour to clean the pump and gun.

I painted some with a Binks pneumatic sprayer. I thinned the paint a little with water. It worked OK, but I think you get bettercoverage by rolling it on. By the way the bees don't like it if you spray the hives while they are in there.

drobbins writes:
    I want to shoot some latex house paint through an air gun

tecumseh scratches his head and writes:
    are you talking about one of those one quart air powered paint cans or an airless sprayer?

it is my experience that both types of equipment require you to thin the paint and racking the paint to some consistancy is always a good idea. the one quart air powered paint cans require a special tip for latex paint. the few times I have used one of these the paint needed to be thinned considerable.

I use a Wagner Paint Crew as well. No thinning required at all. Like Flyman, it takes me longer to clean up than to spray. I like the Paint Crew. I painted 36 shutters last year, all of which were about 200 years old. Not a nail in them. After scraping and sanding, I primed once and painted twice before re-hanging them all. This year, I have 22 more shutters to do. The spray gun makes short work of shutters.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"