So anyone serious about making a GOOD mead (not a 5 month rot-gut sweet 5th century beverage) has read most of the books out there on mead making...and as you have surely read the brewmaster should use a nice light honey. HOG WASH. What I am about to tell you may shock you (snicker snicker). Dark honeys make a nicer drier mead.....in my all knowing opinion () Largely in part due to fructose. Darker honeys (GENERALY) have a greater fructose/glucose combo. In my experience fermantaion happens a greater prolonged rate with these darker honeys and tends to be very nice in about 15 months. In addition, (this is really going to piss the hippies off) try using burned honey, like the stuff you get when you are melting cappings and forget the heat was on becase you were drinking too much mead. Ooops guess I'll have to make another batch.
Seriously, I have been enjoying experimenting with burned honey meads. I accidently left a few jars of nice light clover in a car for half the summer. They looked like buckwheat. The following recipe yielded a remarkable mead:

5 Gal batch

8lbs Accidently burnt clover honey.
Boil 3 1/2 gal water
2 grapefruit peeled and mushed
1 packed Pasture Champane yeast

Pour honey in primary, pour water over honey, mix without burning yourself, add grapefruit, add cool water to complete 5 gal. pitch yeast when temp is at 85 degrees or so. Air lock, rerack after two weeks again at 6 weeks, again at 12 weeks, bottle at 4-5 months, age in a cool cellar for 10 to 18 months

I know you don't believe me but just try it. And if you really aren't into longterm mead bondage it will be very drinkable after 8 months from brewing.