Default What does everybody use for hive stands

I've used 5 gallon buckets and blocks. I'm looking for something less heavy and more aetheticaly pleasing. One of my thoughts is to make a box using 2x12 pt big enough to have 2 hives side by side.

Free pallets
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Smile What does everybody use for hive stands

one 2" x 4" x 8' cut to 36 or if you want 48" = two sides
    2 pieces of 2" x 4" x 18" depending on your bottom boards.
    Assemble the boards so that they resemblr a giant letter H on both ends. You can set the cross boards in about 12" for stability.
    Set the 2 hives on the stand so that you can work them for the season. Move the two hives so that they are adjacent for wintering. You can put your winter wrap on if you want.
    This is just a simple scetch

Regards,
    Ernie
    Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Smile Hive stand

Hope this post ok.
    I I

Ernie
    Last edited by BEES4U; 03-06-2008 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Simple scetch did not post

Smile Hive stands

The simplest would to use would be 4'x4"x8' pressure treated wood like the kind used for fence post.
    Easy to load.
    Easy to set up.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Mostly I use free, scrap pallets available at a hundred different places. They are fairly easy to level up with bricks on the corners.

I came across some free, 8' landscaping timbers, approx 4"x6", and laid two of them parallel to each other.

I've also used cement blocks, mostly 8", some 12". These were used and free. My only complaint is that they are harder to level and as much as I tried to keep a hive on just two of them, I needed four per hive.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Thanks guys I will experiment this weekend.

Default Hive Stands

Hi Jason, it all is a hobby to me, the bees, woodworking, steelworking, cars and engines and of course the computer. In essence, I am way out there with my interests and so I come up with hive stands that are made from scrap steel, the neighbors old basket ball stands for example. Take a look at Photobucket.com and look under Habedere. Right now I am eager to rig the tractor back for summer operation but there are six inches of snow advertised here. I need the tractor to reverse the brood boxes soon as I may have some swarming that I don't want. Back to the stands, I like them as they are on a single pipe and I coat a strip with Tanglefoot to keep the ants and other critters out. Again, its just a hobby but I like it! Take care and have fun.
    Last edited by Alex Cantacuzene; 03-07-2008 at 03:50 AM. Reason: missed a word

I use a stand made of 4x4's similar to the diagram in the Beekeepers Handbook,

http://hugheshoney.com/services/pollinate.php

This worked great for my first 6 hives (plus they look good in the neighborhood) but now that my hive numbers keep increasing I plan on using cinder blocks for the farms I am pollinating as they are cheap and does not require time to make.
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

>The simplest would to use would be 4'x4"x8' pressure treated wood

That's what about half of mine are. The other have are the two by four frames I built. It's easier to level the frames. It's easier to build the 4 by 4s.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Watch for coffee tables that people put out for trash. Most of the are strong and good looking and big enough for two hives.

I get the smaller pallets at places like lowes, home depot, etc. when they go bad, I just replace them and throw the old ones on the burn pile.

Default A Bit Overboard, I'm Sure

The trees and louvered fence protect against the crazy windstorms we get, winter and spring. 50mph and worse sometimes. We're in desert, and think this area will great morning sun, then shade after 1 or 2pm.

The louvered fence was probably overkill, but looks nice, and may be a calming influence with our indoor loving neighbor family next door (I'm talking nicely.)

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/j...Picture011.jpg