Hybrid View

Default Two hives now the third

I have built two hives and today a guy gave me another. This is am old hive that his dad bought a few years back and put together, never used, never painted, because he got sick.

So my questions is two fold. First, it has a non screened bottom board. Should I build one, buy one or just run it on the old syle board? I have spent too much money so far and I am wanting to cut back, but is this a place to skimp?

Lastly, I read that whenever someone gives you a hive you should 'flame it'. What is this??

Quote Originally Posted by kyfarmer View Post
    "...So my questions is two fold. First, it has a non screened bottom board. Should I build one, buy one or just run it on the old syle board? I have spent too much money so far and I am wanting to cut back, but is this a place to skimp?

Lastly, I read that whenever someone gives you a hive you should 'flame it'. What is this??
    First, if you are short on money, use the non-screen bottom board until you have time and money to replace it if you so choose.

Second, the hive that someone gave you is new according to your post, therefore you have no reason to flame it, Just use it.

I have a Northern Tool propane torch, the one used for burning weeds in your driveway, etc. It is like a flame thrower. I scorch the used boxes, lids and bottom-boards to destroy any American Foulbrood Spores that might possibly have been left behind, especially if I have no idea why the boxes are empty. People scorch the used equipment to be safe.

You can easily modify the solid BB into a screened unit without much cost.

Or do what I tend to do, for go the bottom board and tack the hardware cloth straight to the bottom box.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Flaming a hive is running a torch over the inside to kill Foul Brood spores. If the you are using new equipment then it wont need to be done. The bottom board can easily be converted over to a SBB