Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for the help, everyone. I got all my equipment and hive setup, plus put in my package order last night from Rick Reault at NEbees in Tynsborough. From what little I know, it looks like a good setup -- I just need to paint it and make a stand to keep the skunks away.

For anyone who's wondering Rick has a small inventory of supplies but he did have everything I needed to get started in stock and gave me some pointers on how to get started. I would recommend that anyone considering driving there, that they call first as the hours aren't necessarily correct (fortunately I called first so didn't have to make an extra trip). He also has some online videos at his web site which explain better than words ever will how to install a package and set-up a hive.

My brother-in-law is in his second year of beekeeping so I should be able to get help from him if necessary (I don't have time at this point for bee school -- too many hobbies and other commitments).

PerryBee, I've always wondered about the "other" Lunenburg up north. I always see it when I do a search for local town info. I'll bet its mighty cold up there...

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFromMA View Post
    PerryBee, I've always wondered about the "other" Lunenburg up north. I always see it when I do a search for local town info. I'll bet its mighty cold up there...
    Which Lunenburg would that be? Vermont or Nova Scotia?

Default BetterBeee Back-Up

Hi,

I have also grown really frustrated with BetterBee. I ordered 3 Galvanized Tops and 2 Slatted Racks in the start of February. I also got the back order email stating 10-15 business days before shipping. I called Friday which was 22 working days and was told they were still on back order! I was connected with a defensive and quite brash lady who couldn't tell me anything but they were still back ordered. During a heated discussing with the lady over selling products they couldn't fulfill I lost the call. When I called back 5 minutes, they had miraculously had another order "canceled" and was able to come up with the 3 sets I had ordered and had already sent the order to the shipping department....

Humm......

Default slow in getting beehive wood orders

My wife and I were down at Dadant's in Hamilton IL last week. They were out of deep frames. They said it has been very busy, with many people starting as hobbiests, because of CCD...
    Mike
    Bee a blessing to God and others.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFromMA View Post
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I got all my equipment and hive setup, plus put in my package order last night from Rick Reault at NEbees in Tynsborough. From what little I know, it looks like a good setup -- I just need to paint it and make a stand to keep the skunks away.

For anyone who's wondering Rick has a small inventory of supplies but he did have everything I needed to get started in stock and gave me some pointers on how to get started. I would recommend that anyone considering driving there, that they call first as the hours aren't necessarily correct (fortunately I called first so didn't have to make an extra trip). He also has some online videos at his web site which explain better than words ever will how to install a package and set-up a hive.

I agree Rick runs a good outfit and provides another local place to get bees and equipment

Quote Originally Posted by bentonbee View Post
    My wife and I were down at Dadant's in Hamilton IL last week. They were out of deep frames. They said it has been very busy, with many people starting as hobbiests, because of CCD...
    Mike
    Try B&B Honey Farm just north of you in Minnesota, near LaCrosse, WI. I just picked up several hundred frames from them - good quality, good service, reasonably priced. They will Speedy Delivery Service them to you for about 1/2 price of UPS, too. You'll probably get them the day after ordering.

B&B HONEY FARM
    5917 Hop Hollow Rd.
    Houston, MN 55943
    Ph: 1-800-342-4811 (order only)
    Ph: 1-507-896-3955 (info)
    (7am-5pm M-F, 7am-12 noon SAT.)
    Fax: 507-896-3955
    Email: bbhoney@acegroup.cc

MM

Default Betterbee performance

I agree that Betterbee's performance is spotty and they could improve a lot of what they do. I happened to luck out with my initial main order of woodenware, including their kits, which shipped promptly in December. By March, with my subsequent orders, I was getting a lot of back-ordering, etc.

In general, the well-run companies on the Web will tell you at the time you are ordering whether the item is in stock. If it's not in stock, they say so on the product listing (not later). The BAD companies think it's okay to ignore all this because once you have placed the order, you are reluctant to cancel it.

Lately, I have noticed a string of BAD companies and it's looking like a trend. I order many different things, but camera stores (especially around NYC) are just liars. I just had a pack frame order from C&C outdoor, where they delayed me about 12 days claiming they had shipped it, and had not. I placed the order with REI and they shipped it the following day.

So one of the big tests is, does the company tell you when the product has shipped and provide the tracking number? A BAD company has lots of words and excuses when you ask this, and it's a dead give-away IMHO. A good company just gives you the tracking number.

Bud, I'm really glad you came over to Ruhl Bee Supply, and that you had a great experience!

I've been a member here at Beesource since I began beekeeping three seasons ago, and I'm a new hire at Ruhl (Wonderful folks, the new owners and long-time staff are busting their butts to keep up) It's been crazy busy. Took my first day off in about 10 days today to fix a plumbing issue here at the house and rest the dawgs =)

I've also been a frequent (and overall, happy) customer of Betterbee as well as the other major online suppliers. Right now, I have some specialty gear on order (my own purchase) with two of the best, and both are claiming an additional two-week turnaround. I figure that's in addition to the normal spring delays, due to everything from backlogs to weather.

There are TONS of new beekeepers getting on board, many of whom placed last-minute orders. Also, it seems that lots of sideliners and commercial keepers are rotating into their operations a higher percentage of new equipment. I know some suppliers of these companies are having some issues and they, in turn, are backed up.

Doesn't excuse bad communication, of course, but I really think that the comment about suppliers underestimating the explosive new interest in beekeeping was on target. I lost my voice and perhaps the majority of my charm Monday (Package Day!) calming the nerves of beekeepers whose shoes I was in only a few years back--but the best part was fielding calls (when I could get to the phone) from triumphant newbs crowing about the rush of their first package install =)

Patience---your stuff will get to you! And if you're in the Portland area, come by Ruhl Bee Supply and say hello. Just don't ask for 100 assembled hive bodies filled with assembled wire/wax frames and expect to walk out the door with them...especially if the gimpy redhead with the hoarse voice is anywhere in earshot. She's deadly with a staplegun.
    Pocket Meadow Farm

Me too. We will both know for next spring to order early.

I have a newly packaged hive of bees missing a bottom board and a top. I have them jury rigged with a ventilated top for the bottom and a piece of wood for the top, but I sure wish my order would arrive.
    ~May your hive thrive
    Aisha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12