Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Metal for Telescoping Covers

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  BGhoney 
#1 ·
For those of you that make your own telescoping covers, where do you typically get your tin for the tops? And do you buy flat (sheet) stock or a roll of aluminum?

Any tips on bending the metal around the edges??

Thanks!
Matt

#2 ·
HVAC supply houses or dealers

I get mine from a HVAC supply house. I was in that business and still have accounts with some of the suppliers. Most will not sell to non-HVAC pros, but if it's just sheet metal you're after, they may make exceptions. Some also sell retail to non-pro's. Your local plumber/HVAC dealers should carry sheet metal products. You may be able to trade some honey for a little bending time at the brakes. Or, most plumbers I know- a little mead may go a long way to getting a favor done!

The sheet metal I get is galvanized 36" x 96", 28 or 26 ga. I know a guy who used to get aluminum sheets from a printing company. Might be anther affordable source. I don't know much about the printing business, so I'm unsure what they use it for or if they still use sheet aluminum in their processing. Aluminum would be a little easier to work with than sheet metal being a softer metal.

#3 ·
I must say that I have not actually done this... But our local home improvement stores do carry 2x2 or 3x3 ft sheet aluminum. It is light enough that you can cut it with aircraft shears or sheet metal shears.

Cut it 3-4 inches larger than the top. Cut a 45 degree angle at each corner ( outside into the edge of the of the top corner ). Place on top and have someone hold it while you physically push the edges down. They can be flattened using a ball ping hammer. as for the corners, they will need to be wrapped around each end.

#5 ·
I just looked at an ad in our local newspaper to sell aluminum sheets (press plates) which are 23" x 30" x .008 for
1.00 ea
25 for 20.00
50 for 36.00
I have bought sheeting from the home supply stores that is more expensive so depending on how many you are making it may be less expensive to check your local newspaper...Rick

#7 ·
I kind of wondered if they're as available as they used to be. I'm fortunate to have a brake and various sheet metal tools. Also I've found the 3'x8' sheets cheaper than roof flashings. It seems calling it 'flashing' makes the item a special duty product. Once something is labeled for a special use, it costs more. Ie- hive tool (specific label and use and only available through a bee product store) vs. small generic carpenter's nail bar. Even the "rare stainless steel" hive tools as found on Ebay lately cost more $$ than a stainless steel generic small nail bar.

#8 ·
tops

i just leave mine bare plywood- lasts for years. most last so long i can't remember when i made them. no laughing or jokes about old geezers either! if i want that kind of abuse i can get from family:)

#9 ·
I buy 28ga aluminum sheet (4x8 or 4x10). They are baked enamel white on one side (same as a erasable marker board). Although I do have shears and brakes, you can buy a "hand seamer" at an AC supply house with 12" blades. You don't have to paint, still don't know how long they will last, and you can write hive status on the top and erase it when conditions change. Good luck.

#12 ·
Home depot and lowes have it. 20 inches wide, by 25 or 50 feet long. Lowes only had it on there web page. Home depot has it in stock, $49 bucks for 50 feet. I just scored it with a exacto knife and bent it in half. No prob. I can cut bend and staple about 10 tops in an hour:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.