Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default cutting grips in boxes

I think someone on Beesource has posted a way to cut the half moon grips in boxes using a skill saw. Anybody have the plans for that jig?

Default Re: cutting grips in boxes

It's Cleo Hoggan's brain child. search youtube.

go to the bottom of this page to beesource.com, then up to the menu-build it yourself and you will see it, I made it, it works well.

search youtube.. there is even a guy that does it freehand with a skillsaw.. looks scary but boy is it fast

Here is a link to the Cleo Hogan handhold jig page mentioned in post #3 by crabbydad:
    http://beesource.com/build-it-yourse...-handhold-jig/

A video is also linked on that page.
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

Been looking at the same thing. There's also a youtube video of a table saw jig, and it is wayyyyy faster. I'm at the point of probably building that jig this week.

I tried both - hard to beat Hogan's jig. Simple, Fast, Cheap!
    It is what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
    Been looking at the same thing. There's also a youtube video of a table saw jig, and it is wayyyyy faster. I'm at the point of probably building that jig this week.
    Have a link to the video?

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Have a link to the video?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5yWQCARkUw

And another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw1XQw5TqeE

I like this guys sled a bit better....but appears he did not use a dado blade. I intend to do this sled and use a wobble type dado blade set to 1/2" like the first video.

The more I look, the more I find. I wonder how Mann Lake did their handholds. It has a different shape. I'm sure they use high speed shapers, not circular saw, or table saws......but here is how one guy is doing it, and gets that effect in the handhold that Mann Lake has. Dunno, got another method now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wft9XiR72J4

Here's one using a radial arm saw:

man oh man those videos look like accidents waiting to happen. dropping wood onto a moving blade? loose gloves working on a tablesaw? esp the guy in the nice shop. his hand was in the path of that hidden blade. definitely stick some handles and hold downs on those jigs to keep your hands away from those blades.
    Terrence - 1 year newb

Can't seem to find it now but, there was a video on beesource that showed a sled and a router to make the hand holds. It was done after the box was assembled and was very quick. I was impressed.
    Just some thoughts.

Other than safety these methods also destroy your saw. They are not designed for making a cut from the side of the blade. It puts stress on the internal components which they were not engineered to handle. Personally I would by the correct equipment or just use cleats.

Other than safety these methods also destroy your saw. They are not designed for making a cut from the side of the blade. It puts stress on the internal components which they were not engineered to handle. Personally I would buy the correct equipment or just use cleats.

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    man oh man those videos look like accidents waiting to happen. dropping wood onto a moving blade? loose gloves working on a tablesaw? esp the guy in the nice shop. his hand was in the path of that hidden blade. definitely stick some handles and hold downs on those jigs to keep your hands away from those blades.
    I noticed that too. His saw was not setup right. He needed the ability to stand beside his saw. The awkward manner of pushing the sled into the blade is asking for it. I never use gloves, and I don't understand the use of gloves at all. What's the purpose to keep your hands clean? With wood working it's NOT grip. I loose the feeling you need as to what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    I noticed that too. His saw was not setup right. He needed the ability to stand beside his saw. The awkward manner of pushing the sled into the blade is asking for it. I never use gloves, and I don't understand the use of gloves at all. What's the purpose to keep your hands clean? With wood working it's NOT grip. I loose the feeling you need as to what you're doing.

If I was going to make handholds I would make a router jig that was like a half moon using a staight bit. so it would sit on top of the assembled box and probably 3 passes would make a good sized cut.
    I've been making my boxes out of plywood so i just glued and screwed oak to them as i didnt want to expose the plys any more then needed. i tested one i made last year like this hitting it with a hammer. very strong. ripped out 3 layers of ply before it broke off. i actually find it a lot better for grip with my aging hands
    Terrence - 1 year newb

Quote Originally Posted by hivemaker View Post
    Other than safety these methods also destroy your saw. .
    With all due respect, I totally disagree with your statement.

Over the past 15 to 20 years, I have made thousands and thousands of hand holds on bee equipment, and I am still using the same saw, (changed the blade once, about 5 years ago, after I found that a heavy duty insert blade cut better than a thin kerf blade), and the saw, in fact it is still just fine.

Saw has not been destroyed.

cchoganjr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast