Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2017 nuc transport box preferences

After assembling Mann lakes new design nuc transport box's last year, with all the necessary additional labor and supplies to make them leak proof and secure, I am looking for suggestions and preferences from those that sell over 100 per season. Thanks
    Lauri Miller. VSH Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn & Wild lines.
    200+ hives, minimal mite treatments, no antibiotics or meds.

Default Re: 2017 nuc transport box preferences

I am going with home built wooden nuc boxes. They don't cost much to build, are easier, faster, better, and less frustrating than any of the cardboard ones I have used, and they can be reused. The only thing is, I do not paint them. I hate painting and can't even get all of my own gear painted in a timely fashion, so I draw the line at painting anything I am going to sell.

I tell all my bee buyers to paint the box and keep it to use for requeening later on or to make up a nuc if they get into that at some point in the future. They can also use it as a frame holder during hive inspections. Or, they could resell it, or do a box exchange the next time they buy a nuc from me, in which case I would discount their new nuc.

I make a separate bottom board and top and then use plastic strapping to hold the whole thing together for transport.

eta: I scrounge a lot of wood and lumber, so my material cost is negligible. Mostly my labor, and for the time it takes to build a nuc box I am probably saving $$$ when compared to buying the commercial boxes.

I fell into that mann lake trap as well last year, and unluckily still have a bunch to use up. However i have designed my own out of 7/16" OSB plywood, Better ventilation and they stack up better on a semi. They are semi disposable. If you paint them and take care of them will get a couple seasons out of them, or if you let them unprotected in the rain too long they will disintegrate on their own.

Aaron

The Kester plastic nuc boxes are excellent

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    The Kester plastic nuc boxes are excellent
    *Jester. But yes, agreed.

I've been using the waxed cardboard nuc boxes from Brushy Mountain. Easy to assemble and cheaper than the others. I do tape the bottom flap closed and tie on a piece of twine to insure the cover doesn't come off.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroZomBEE View Post
    I fell into that mann lake trap as well last year, and unluckily still have a bunch to use up. However i have designed my own out of 7/16" OSB plywood, Better ventilation and they stack up better on a semi. They are semi disposable. If you paint them and take care of them will get a couple seasons out of them, or if you let them unprotected in the rain too long they will disintegrate on their own.

Aaron
    Same here. And with medium nucs, almost no waste if you make a rip the long way first. I cut 4 sheets at a time with a skill saw and rip guide, then finish trim on table saw. Eastern white pine but cut ends. With identical bottom and top covers, less than $3. Short day cutting everything. Nail together a couple hundred the next day.

I use the Jester nucs. They assemble a little hard but don't leak bees and are very sturdy and reusable. Only issue I have is that the holes in the walls accumulate water so when you dump the bees out into a hive there is lots of water coming out too.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    I use the Jester nucs. They assemble a little hard but don't leak bees and are very sturdy and reusable. Only issue I have is that the holes in the walls accumulate water so when you dump the bees out into a hive there is lots of water coming out too.
    I had the same issue when I bought a few that came in some Jester boxes.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

The Brushy mountain waxed boxes MP references in post #7 are available in an unwaxed version from Mel Disselkoen - the box designer. I hot glue or tape the inner flaps down and have found that a loop of feed bag fits neatly around the box to hold it together in transit. It is a well designed box, and as MP says, is easy to fold together.
    http://www.mdasplitter.com/nuc_boxes.php

As several others have said, the Jester boxes are great. Should get at least 5 years out of them. Easy to knock down to store flat, and then reassemble.

Lloyd
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

Michael or Adrian,

How durable are these boxes? Will the waxed ones last a couple of weeks in weather?

I am just thinking about about setting up the nucs in advance in early spring.

Tom

I don't sell 100 nucs per year, only about 30, but really like the Jester nuc boxes as others have stated. I've done both jesters and waxed cardboard boxes and find that the Jester boxes are a value add for my customers if marketed it correctly. They hold up great and can be used by the customer during inspections or to make a split themselves.

I'm not thrilled with jesters new insert to allow medium frames; it could have been better designed. For medium nucs I'd still do waxed cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by TWall View Post
    Michael or Adrian,

How durable are these boxes? Will the waxed ones last a couple of weeks in weather?
    Yes

I have never used the waxed ones, or tested my unwaxed ones in rainstorms. If rain is a concern wax has to be the way to go. What I will add is that it is very convenient to keep a few of these boxes around all year to carry frames, or frames of bees, around in. The weight difference makes it much easier for those of us built with a lighter physique.

If I was going to build them, I would make them large enough for an extra frame or a one gallon interior feeder. Better to keep them during the transition between assembly and pick up.
    Like this:

This is 12" wide if I remember right. WIth screened hinged inner cover with hasp latch. Bottom plywood attached board has a 3" screened vent hole too.

I'll have to simplify the design so it costs less, plywood, no hardware, no finish, etc. But will love the extra room and reduced chance for customer to roll the queen when transferring to their equipment. I'll swap out the feeder for an empty frame for the trip. Unless customer wants to purchase the feeder.

The mann lake box's I used last year I modified for more ventilation, especially if they had a longer transport time. Just used a 3" hole saw and hot melt with #8 screen to add another vent hole or two, depending on the need.

P4210244.jpg

But the amount of duct tape I needed to keep bees in while confined was ridiculous. + the time to assemble & fix them. I might as well just build something.

P4100420.jpg

Just a note if anyone does use Mann Lakes nucs, if you cut off the flap-shown here - on each side, your frames will fit better.

P4140632.jpg

P4140633.jpg

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the 6 frame box as shown above with a one gallon feeder and new undrawn frames. When frames are fat, this is perfect

With 1 1/2 gallon feeder:

Same design made with standard 8 frame deep parts:

Standard 5 frame nuc box with fully screened bottom and inner cover with feeding/vent hole. Inner cover fits under hinged lid.

But if I'm going to build them, I'll make them oversize, about 12" x 19 7/8". It will make everyone's life easier. I hate trying to stuff in fat frames with no room to spare. And hate the thought of folks trying to pull that first one out.
    Last edited by Lauri; 09-25-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Here are all three sizes
    bottom is made from standard five frame nuc box, center is 12" wide (5 frames and a interior feeder) top is standard 8 frame deep which is 14" wide.

I'll do some research on disposables and if I find out anything interesting I will let you know.

Whipped up a couple prototypes for my wood nuc transport box's using those economical cedar shorts from my local mill.
    Although I have a couple short units of 12" stock, I squirreled that away in my loft for another day and will use up the 9 1/4" stock first and add a 3/4 x 1" shim on the bottom to fir it out for the correct depth.
    I had some 7 1/4" boards I used for the bottom, along with a strip of #8 screen for ventilation. Easy to close up with some foam cut to fit snug while they are living in these box's between the time I assemble them and they are ready to go. Remove the foam when they are confined for transport. Plywood inner cover also has screened vent hole for good cross flow when confined. I'll probably screw down the inner cover for transport, cover it with a migratory cover while they are here.
    I'm using up the odd sized & older cedar for these transport box's to keep the cost as low as possible. They will not get a finish and some of the lumber is rough cut, but will still be better than plywood or OSB.
    Joints are rabbeted for strength.
    Been working for the last couple days getting this lumber sorted & stacked.
    Also got my shop cleaned out. Good lord! Between the dust, bird doo, cobwebs, sawdust it was beyond a wreck. Been too busy all season to get to it. It's a relief to get it cleaned out It's open to the barn so it's challenge to keep clean. I laid a thick layer of fresh sawdust on the arena floor and watered it well, so it will keep the dust down. Sure looks clean and bright!
    Moved my miter saw and router table out in the arena so it will be easier to keep the parts and assembly area clean.
    Ready for some milling and assembly. Look forward to doing some woodworking this winter.
    This is my alternative to spending $$$ + shipping charges on better cardboard nuc transport box's that would still need assembly. I figure if I cut them all out & mill all my parts in bulk, assembly will not be too bad.
    I'm pretty satisfied with my design, but will let these sit a couple weeks to make sure I don't have shrinkage issues. They have to be escape proof with no gaps.

Bottom assembly:

Horses have been put out in the rain, unfortunately They don't seem to care much though.
    Stall turned into a assembly room isn't fancy, but it works well. This is where I'll be hanging out this winter.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lauri; 10-14-2016 at 04:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast