Thread: Vivo Extractor

Default Vivo Extractor

Does anybody know anything about this extractor? It says 4/8 frame meaning the you can put 4 to 8 frames in it. How does that work? Also is it a radial or tangental?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0163AVOVY?psc=1
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Default Re: Vivo Extractor

4/8 usually means 4 deeps or 8 mediums or shallows.Given the drum diameter it must be a radial. There is also a customer comment saying the drum height given is wrong by quite a bit. All that said,if it is a radial, then the price is right.
    54+ years 30 colonies Treat using OAV
    http://99-40.com

I just can't see buying a 2 or 3 frame extractor. I figure if I am going to do it, get one that holds enough to make it worth while.

It's not quite radial. It appears you can put four deep frames in it tangentially, and you can put 8 medium or shallows in at an angle. The angle isn't quite radial, but it's close. Whether that means you don't have to reverse the frames is unclear.

I kind of don't see the point of an extractor like this. An extractor like this is only useful if you have one or two hives, any more and you'll be extracting for a looong, tedious time, and then it'll sit in your garage/basement/shed for 364 days. That's not a good use of $249.99. If you have only a couple of hives, borrow an extractor from your beek association, mentor or rental agency. I suppose if you don't have those options, this might suffice.

I just bought this exact unit. It arrived last Thursday. It will run radially with 8 mediums or shallows, tangential with 4 deep. If you remove the crank, you can run this from a 1/2" drill (not a 3/8 drill). Running it this way makes fast work of extracting frames. The gearing is set up to give 2.5 basket turns per 1 crank turn. This allows for decent speed even manually operated. The legs are short meaning the gate cannot be set over a 5 gallon bucket. For this, the unit needs to be raised about 8" higher. For speed you will want to securely mount this somehow to steady vibrations from imbalance, though it's manageable. The basket will allow the trailing frames to fall out to a tangential orientation. This can be overcome by tying pairs together at the cross bars, or welding short stubs in place to hold them better. I bought this with honey sales and would happily do so again! Here are some videos to see it in action and a few helpful cheap mods:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/vendter/videos

Quote Originally Posted by ritan1 View Post

I kind of don't see the point of an extractor like this. An extractor like this is only useful if you have one or two hives, any more and you'll be extracting for a looong, tedious time, and then it'll sit in your garage/basement/shed for 364 days. That's not a good use of $249.99. If you have only a couple of hives, borrow an extractor from your beek association, mentor or rental agency. I suppose if you don't have those options, this might suffice.
    Yeah, I have been reading the extractor threads and that is a very common response, and the money is an issue with me (and my wife). Yesterday afternoon after supering all of my hives, I was out of the 12 medium supers that I built last spring and the 120 frames that I ordered from Mann Lake. My wife was glad to see the giant boxes of frames out of the living room where they had been stored for a couple of months. I said whelp, that's it, we are officially out of gear, the main flow is still going strong, and we still have the fall flow to look forward to.
    I said I would have to go to the hardware store and get lumber for 12 more supers (~$50 and a lot of my time to build) and order another 120 frames ($330). Then it hit me, I could by an extractor for $250, extract the filled supers that I have, and put the empty frames and supers back on the hives. Storage wise, an extractor takes up a lot less room than another 10 supers.

Yeah, I certainly understand your situation and your decision, but doing 120 frames in an 8 frame extractor is going to be a real pain, although I like the modification DrJeseuss references; makes it more like a true radial. Over the long term though, I can't but think investing in more supers and frames and then eventually a 15+ motorized extractor is a better deal and would improve your output greatly.
    Last edited by ritan1; 06-22-2016 at 11:21 AM.

We just did 200 pounds it a tangential two frame hand cranker that's real old (was my grandpa's). With two guys... one uncapping and one cranking/handling frames it took about three hours not including cleanup. I'm not saying I'd want to do it like that forever, but as a means to an end... and without another resource for extractor I don't see why you wouldn't go with something like this? You'd likely be able to get 50% of the money back when you sell it and it will pay for itself in a hurry because there's so little investment.

I know there's a lot of moving parts, and eventually I'd like to get a large(r), motorized extractor. But I can handle spinning it by hand, with help, in the meantime. I could see considering something like this as a stepping stone. Run it from a drill and work up to a larger, motorized one.

Quote Originally Posted by ritan1 View Post
    Yeah, I certainly understand your situation and your decision, but doing 120 frames in an 8 frame extractor is going to be a real pain, although I like the modification DrJeseuss references; makes it more like a true radial. Over the long term though, I can't but think investing in more supers and frames and then eventually a 15+ motorized extractor is a better deal and would improve your output greatly.
    A pain? as opposed to extracting 120 frames by crush and strain (what I have been doing). I am kind of caught in the middle; too big for crush and strain and to small for a 15 frame extractor (probably never get that big anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    A pain? as opposed to extracting 120 frames by crush and strain (what I have been doing). I am kind of caught in the middle; too big for crush and strain and to small for a 15 frame extractor (probably never get that big anyway).
    True 'dat. Pain is relative. But too small? I have only three hives and a fifteen frame manual extractor (that I got for a steal) and it is not overkill. I get it all done in about three hours from start to clean-up. Plus I lend it to others.

I hope you have fun with your extractor. I never cease to be amazed by it all.

I too hope to reach a larger unit... in time. As someone pointed out when I asked a similar question, even when you get big, there will likely be times you want to grab a few frames of something special for yourself or as a gift, outside of your normal harvest operations. He mentioned having both types of units and continues to use both the large electric, and the smaller manual unit.

I too was crush-strain. The impact from losing all that drawn was is heavy. Any extractor beats that! As said before, I gladly paid the money for this unit, and would again in an instant. You'll make it back and more in your first harvest if you have a few hives or more.