Default Dealing with Slum Using a wax press

I was wondering if somebody could post a video or pictures of how they deal with their slum. I am thinking about buying a Kelley wax press but would like to see more about the process before I dive in. I would like to know how people heat the barrels to get the slum out. Thanks In advance.

Default Re: Dealing with Slum Using a wax press

No pics sorry it was many years since I've done this.

However we had a large tank heated by steam pipes coiled around just inside the tank walls. The tank was probably around a ton but not totally sure now.

It was a hot messy job. The tank was filled with hot water and old brood frames dumped in and stirred with a stick and eventually the frames pulled out once clean. This continued till there was a good quantity of wax and slumgum. Then it was manually shovelled into sacks and put in a press in the tank. This was squeezed and the resultant wax drawn off the top of the tank. The slumgum was taken out of the sacks now almost entirely free of wax. People put it on their gardens it looked like it would be good but actually when I used it didn't seem to do much for the plants.

i throw it in a burlap sack or an old laundry bag if you have one and submerge it under water a few days. i put a rock on mine or the sack will float. Strain. Change water and repeat. Then i press it.
    Remove from bag I use a plastic tub throw my old comb in that and let it melt . it act like a solar melter you could put glass or an old widow if you have one. The biggest complaint i have is the wax sticks to the bottom.

Then I throw it in a old crock pot with water and skim the wax off the top, anything left, I strain it through a cheese cloth filtering a few time s be careful of hot wax.
    i then put the wax in old pot with water and melt the wax And skim and filter. The hot wax is scooped in container with water .
    This process is a very long and messy.

Good luck.

Years ago when I had a nice setup I had a tank with a circulating pump.I had boiling water in it and I would melt it all and strain off the scum and then put it in some strainers and ran the pump to rinse it all with the hot water and got all the wax from it.It was work but I did get all the wax.

I have been using steam in a similar manner as the previous post, except in stainless tank. So little wax is left in the cocoons that I can't see that further pressing would ever pay for the cost of a press, unless done on a tremendous scale. I have gone to a steam tank made out of a beer keg.