Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: major ccd loss

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    If it wasnt for almonds there would be alot of beekeepers out of buisness right now.
    A lot? I'll guess percentage wise, it would be a relatively small number of beekeepers. Granted, they are the ones with the largest percentage of hives.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Aspera View Post
    Well CCD is supposed to be the influenza of honeybees, causing untold suffering to their keepers. If it truly is an infectious problem, then it crosses state lines on the back of a semi, as did varroa, tracheal mites, and SHB before CCD.
    So you are saying bees wont cross state lines on there own? Semis might spread it quicker but it will still spread.

Default Re: Video

Something some may perhaps find interesting ? Will not comment since everything id self explanatory even the ban in France for which I took some flack... and at the time could not adequetly substantiate ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_XnvZAcM0U

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    ... I look at the crops that are pollinated by honeybees, and think "I could live without that since I don't eat it anyway." ...
    Gosh, you must have a really boring diet!

I suppose many people might say the same thing about honey, so
    who cares lets just let honey bee culture in general die out.

If the problem is so serious, then why hasn't there been a moratorium on hive transport? I would think that the transport of hives could desseminate infectious diseases.

thats just crazy talk. that would be the end of the bee industry in this country. much faster than ccd.
    Last edited by lake thompson honey; 03-04-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Barry, you're a brave man. I like that about you.
    More curious than brave I think. It's interesting to contemplate a beekeeping industry that did not include the influence of almond pollination, and how that difference would impact how we view the issues of pests and diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    So you are saying bees wont cross state lines on there own? Semis might spread it quicker but it will still spread.
    I believe you are right, but I also believe that the speed of disease transmission is important. Also, it seems like you are saying that commercial pollination cannot exist without long haul migratory pollinators. This may not be true.

I believe you are right, but I also believe that the speed of disease transmission is important. Also, it seems like you are saying that commercial pollination cannot exist without long haul migratory pollinators. This may not be true.
    If we are talking about honey bees pollinating almonds in Ca. or blueberries in Maine then long haul pollinating is going to be required for the forseeable forture or until it becomes no longer profitable. There simply are not enough beekeepers in Ca. or Maine to fill the demand. There is also not enough people getting into this as a buisness ,wich by the way I am fine with.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345