Thread: major ccd loss

Hybrid View

Default major ccd loss

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...monds-55021901 anybody else hear about this one-yesterday when i read this there where names of keepers today the names have been omitted the big lose came from adde honey -is this common knowledge -RDY-B 3-6-08 http://www.vanishingbees.com/blog/
    Last edited by RDY-B; 03-06-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Boy, that's sad.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Default obervation

The losses are not easy to take, I've been thru this myself, this year and past years.
    I only say the following as my opinion and obsevation.

Even if we are lossing hives we still need to deliver a quality product, as advertised, to the grower. If the contact is for 6 frames that what should be delivered.

Unfortunatally some of those hive that were empty and should have stayed at the holding yard were delivered to pollination contacts, I do encourage the growers to check the hives to confirm what they are paying for.

I looked at 4 sets of 24 hives each and you would be pushing a 2 frame ave. with multiple hives having no queen or a fist full of bees from the unnamed large beek in the lost hills region.

I hope together we find a method to win against what ever is killing the bees.

Larry

Maryam, the woman who wrote the piece, was in Arizona for the organic meeting this past weekend. She was interviewing people for her documentary about the vanishing bees. She needs money to finish the project, in case anyone wants to help out.

I didn't realize Kim Flottum had this online article series. Nice! Here's a good article that includes problems researchers are facing trying to address the problem.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environ...s-ccd-45013008

BarryW,
    Kim stated that two major queen producers retired, do you or anyone else know who they are.
    I am small compared to some of these keepers, but none the less I have invested what I consider major money in this business; and I am concerned. I suspect everyone on this list is as they should bee.
    Frank

Did they retire and just burn the equipment? What does "retire" mean. It means nothing if they retired but yet passed on or sold the business. Didn't a major company in Hawaii sell out and the owners retired? (OHB bought them) But that could hardly fit into the "loss of 75,000 queens that will now NOT be produced". So the article (from MichaelW) suggests that two queen producers retired and their entire operation now is no longer in existence. Not sold, not passed onto anyone....just gone from the face of the earth. I'd be interested in knowing the details of why they retired in the manner the story suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by WG Bee Farm View Post
    BarryW,
    Hey, have we witnessed a morph? Evolution right before our eyes!
    Regards, Barry

Exclamation CCD affected hives

I am researching AFB, EFB and Stonebrood (Aspergillus) and would like to have portions of CCD affected hives for further lab evaluations.

If any of you have hives that are not going to be reused - I would like to have small pieces (1 to 6 inches), labeled with your info and region, bee species and most common crop (if applicable).

You can send a PM and I can contact you to discuss this more.

Unfortunately, I can't pay for postage, but I don't need large pieces.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Ratfox

If the problem is so serious, then why hasn't there been a moratorium on hive transport? I would think that the transport of hives could desseminate infectious diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspera View Post
    If the problem is so serious, then why hasn't there been a moratorium on hive transport? I would think that the transport of hives could desseminate infectious diseases.
    Whats the number one, most important factor in the bee industry? Its not honey production, its not backyard beekeepers, etc. Its the pollination of the countries food crops. Nothing will come between the movement of hives and the pollination of crops. You stop the movement of bees, and you might as well just kill off ALL the hives. Because without the movement of bees, the industry is nothing. Backyard types, and those with little self contained apiaries, I'm sure don't like to hear that.

You don't shoot off your foot because you big toe is hurting.

There is no way, regardless of how bad it gets, to keep enough bees within the immediate vicinity of the major food crops that need pollination.

Who do you think is going to make the first demands for stopping the movement of bees?

>>then why hasn't there been a moratorium on hive transport?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I assume that's a rhetorical question

Dave

What Dave sez. Follow the money.

Thinking out loud....
    I'm not at all convinced that my food supply depends as much on commerical pollinators as folks would like us to believe. I look at the crops that are pollinated by honeybees, and think "I could live without that since I don't eat it anyway." In fact, if I never ate another almond in my life I doubt I'd die, yet that particular part of the industry seems to pretty much dictate by itself the management practices for most of the beekeeping in the US.

If we took the 800-lb gorilla that is almond pollination out of the equation, what would be the state of beekeeping today?

> If we took the 800-lb gorilla that is almond pollination out of the
    > equation, what would be the state of beekeeping today?

There are lots of crops that will still need pollination, and lots of
    migratory hives required.

There was a time, not long ago when almonds were not such a big
    deal in the grand scheme of things, and other crops dominated.

But as I said before, Almonds have done to beekeeping what cocaine
    did to Miami.
    http://bee-quick.com/reprints/udunno.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fischer View Post
    >
    But as I said before, Almonds have done to beekeeping what cocaine
    did to Miami.
    http://bee-quick.com/reprints/udunno.pdf
    Built it into one of the greatest cities on the east coast? If it wasnt for almonds there would be alot of beekeepers out of buisness right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    If we took the 800-lb gorilla that is almond pollination out of the equation, what would be the state of beekeeping today?
    Barry, you're a brave man. I like that about you.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Barry, you're a brave man. I like that about you.
    More curious than brave I think. It's interesting to contemplate a beekeeping industry that did not include the influence of almond pollination, and how that difference would impact how we view the issues of pests and diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    ... I look at the crops that are pollinated by honeybees, and think "I could live without that since I don't eat it anyway." ...
    Gosh, you must have a really boring diet!

I suppose many people might say the same thing about honey, so
    who cares lets just let honey bee culture in general die out.

thats just crazy talk. that would be the end of the bee industry in this country. much faster than ccd.
    Last edited by lake thompson honey; 03-04-2008 at 05:52 PM.