Default feeding question

I'm going to start feeding my bees today from a community feeder..i'm in middle Tennessee
    how much water should I add to 5 pounds of sugar? thanks!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

5 pounds of water
    Mitch KD8IMF

thanks!
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

I put 5# of sugar in a gallon container and fill the rest of the way with hot tap water, shake and serve for 1:1.

It's not scientific. I just fill a bucket about 90% full of dry sugar and start adding hot water

http://wvbeekeeper.blogspot.com/2008...l-feeding.html

After reading the linc above I got inspired and added a community Sugar Syrup, Water, Salt/mineral block feeding station about 25 feet in front of my hives. It has been a [B]total[B] success. Unbelievable activity at the sugar syrup, so so at the water, and not much at all at the salt/mineral block. I set up 4 wide mouth jars as opposed to one container. More manageable, easier to keep clean and I can keep fresh product there.

John Jones
    Stone Mountain, Ga.
    Last edited by John Jones; 05-28-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: correction

Default worry about robbing?

Is there a danger of robbing with a communal feeder?

In my opinion, you are more likely to get robbed feeding weak hives inside the hive.

Default community feeding

I do not quite understand beekeepers being concerned about robbing when a community feeding station is used. If bees from one hive who are more dominant get into robbing another hive that you hear about alot. Especially when nectar is low or slow. Setting up a community feeding station about 25 feed from any hive allows all of the bees access to sugar syrup. They are attracted to the community feeder not the other hives. Many very experienced beekeepers recommend community beekeeping. http://wvbeekeeper.blogspot.com/2008...ing.html#links , Michael Bush and othes.

John Jones
    Stone Mountain, Ga.
    Last edited by John Jones; 06-04-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo