Hybrid View

Default Buying a tablesaw...some input

Hello

I plan on buying a tablesaw. It will mainly be used to build beehives. I need the tablesaw to be able to cut Rabbet, Crosscut, Ripsaw, Miter and some Mortise and Tenon work..small scale.

I do not want to spend over $350.00 and would like a new one. What type should I look for? Options?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenThumb View Post
    Hello

I plan on buying a tablesaw. It will mainly be used to build beehives. I need the tablesaw to be able to cut Rabbet, Crosscut, Ripsaw, Miter and some Mortise and Tenon work..small scale.

I do not want to spend over $350.00 and would like a new one. What type should I look for? Options?

thx
    It'll cost you $1,500 for the contractor model (soon to be introduced) but you'll always be known as Mr. GreenThumb if you buy the SawStop model which pretty much cannot cut your finger off. Check out the demonstration video at sawstop.com where they TRY to cut a hot dog with the saw - they can't!

Get the biggest *table* you can find. . .and watch garage sales. If you can find an old, heavy belt driven saw at a garage sale, you'll be quite pleased.

Edit: By "table" I mean just that. The little "tablesaws" that Lowe's sells work fine. . .as long as you don't need more than about two (2) feet of table space.

FWIW, my opinion is that you cannot buy a good table saw for $350. You will do yourself a disservice in the long run. I would recommend buying a nice used table saw with a cast iron top.

The second piece of info you need...do not buy cheap blades.

Craigslist is often a good place to keep an eye out for good used tools. Check your area for any local woodworking clubs that might have members posted their saw for sale. Or even check stores such as Woodcraft and inquire about any local woodworkers trying to unload a saw.

Might take a little patience, but it'll be worth it.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Guyrd View Post
    FWIW, my opinion is that you cannot buy a good table saw for $350. You will do yourself a disservice in the long run. I would recommend buying a nice used table saw with a cast iron top. Matt
    I agree with Matt. I bought my saw in 1972. It's a Rockwell contractor's model...with a
    V-belt, not the cogged belt. Some time after that, Rockwell was bought by Delta.

Delta has a web site, and I'm still able to buy parts for my old saw. I've built thousands of bee boxes, bottoms, and covers. Built all the windows in the original section of my house, and all the cabinets, etc. I've found it to be an excellent saw over the years. I looked at new saws recently. I'd like to have two, so I can leave one setup with dado blades, and the other with saw blade for ripping and crosscutting. The new saws seem too big, and would make me bend over too much to be close enough to the work.