Thread: sourcing yeast

Default sourcing yeast

I'm having trouble finding Lalvin DV10. None of the local brewing suppliers carry it or the Red Star near equivalent (Epernay). I can't seem to Google any online suppliers that carry it either. Does anyone have a good source for this stuff?

Epernay II is now called Cotes des Blanc and can be found a lot of places. How it differs from what you're after I don't know. I have some batches with Cotes des Blanc going. They claim it's a slow fermenter and that might be an uderstatement.

Hmmm...yeah I ended up buying Cotes des Blanc. Schram (Compleat Meadmaker) seems to indicate this not quite the same as Epernay which is supposed to be a fast fermentor with a higher alcohol tolerance. After visiting the Lalvin website it seems that they may no longer offer this strain (DV10/Epernay).

Default Source of DV-10

Are you needing a specific yeast? What is so special about DV10? Different yeasts give different characters some dryer some sweeter etc.
    I know Williams Brewing (http://www.williamsbrewing.com/search.cfm) has some yeasts for Mead. In the old days(only 10 years ago actually) they just used wine and champagne yeasts. I like the chamagne style so I comes out sparkling!!!
    You may try "Kraus" in Independance,MO also(dont know the web address) they have alot of wine/mead making supplies. Happy Mead making

Hey thanks for the links everyone...it had been a few months since my last post in this thread, so I had almost forgotten about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zane View Post
    What is so special about DV10? Different yeasts give different characters some dryer some sweeter etc.
    Nothing special that I know of yet, but I have come to appreciate how much the yeast influences the final product, and I want to experiment with different varieties.