Default Anyone have Eight Frame Hive plans?

I'm thinking very strongly about going to eight frame. My back isn't getting any younger, and I thought that since I am making some boxes (about 60), this is the opportunity to go to eight frame.

However, I don't see any plans for eight frame on this site, or others. I just need dimensions for the boxes, etc. Anyone have some plans for eight framers? Thanks-

MM

Gloat: I was able to get some "shorts" - shorter lengths of milled pine/spruce down the road for 25 cents/bf. Planed down about 300 bf. last night - love the smell of freshly planed pine.

Anyone, purdy please?

MM

i used an interior dimension of 12 1/2" on the short/frame rest ends. that gave me a 14" box outside dimension with 3/4" stock. it's my understanding mann lake uses 14" o.d.
    also if you multiply 1 3/8" by 8 and add 3/8" twice i think you get 12 1/2"
    all that is gold does not glitter

Quote Originally Posted by stangardener View Post
    i used an interior dimension of 12 1/2" on the short/frame rest ends. that gave me a 14" box outside dimension with 3/4" stock. it's my understanding mann lake uses 14" o.d.
    also if you multiply 1 3/8" by 8 and add 3/8" twice i think you get 12 1/2"

Thanks! I thought I had figured at 14" od, but when I checked MB's site, he was cutting mediums down to 15.75" od, I think.

MM

Alot of it depends on whether you are using rabbits or box joints. Box joints you need to plan for.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

>he was cutting mediums down to 15.75" od, I think.

13 3/4" outside is what the Brushy Mt. and Miller Bee Supply boxes are. Mann Lake and Betterbee make them 14". Western Bee Supply will make them whatever you like.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Question Actually...

If I remember correctly, I think I actually had 9 plastic frames in a 14" last year...but too cold outside to go check that at the moment...

RBAR

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post

13 3/4" outside is what the Brushy Mt. and Miller Bee Supply boxes are. Mann Lake and Betterbee make them 14". Western Bee Supply will make them whatever you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post

I misread the dimensions on your site -- that's what I get for not putting on my reading glasses. Thanks Michael. I think I'll make 'em 14".

MM

I'd pick the size based on where you want to buy any accessories from.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I bought the "Brushy Mountain" teaching hive (8frame) and it is the only piece of 8 frame I have and it is 13 3/4" out side and you can put 9 frames in it now but that wont work if the bees have used it for a while.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I just bought two mediums. Put one together and used the other one for a template. That way I was sure I made it right.