Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Another Dumb Eyelet Question

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I have been keeping bees this time around for about five years now and in the beginning I was sure to use eyelets before wiring the frames. I found this was more tedious than wiring the frames. Sooo I still wire them but I gave up on the eyelets. Either hurt my hand or was a pain to hammer in. I really do not notice the wire "cutting" into the frames which is why we use eyelets in the first place. As a matter of fact my older combs need to be replaced because they are quite dark so they will have to be rewired.
What do you all do?
Tom in Michigan

#3 ·
Eylets

When assembling frames I install eyelets in the frame sides first. I stack my frame sides so they have the tapered vertical edges (the edge that keeps the bees from sticking the frames together too tight) all pointing in the same direction. I use a 1/8" straight punch with a square shoulder on it in the drill press. I set the drill press table to the best height, put a frame side on the table under the punch point, slide the eyelet on it and push the drill press handle down so the punch enters the pre-drilled hole. A little more pressure and the eyelet is in the wood, works perfectly. Of course, the drill is not running for this operation. Hope I explained it good enough. If I did not have a drill press I still would use a punch with a shoulder and just hammer it in with the frame side lying on piece of wood with a clearance hole in it. I also like to tighten the wires with the pliers that have the two crimping wheels. It takes a bit of getting used to but it works great. Those pliers are sold by some of the suppliers. Take care and have fun

#6 ·
eyelets

Hi tjenkins et al, I have been doing all kinds of wild things and the drill press idea works for the eyelets that I like as it makes the wiring much easier, neater and stronger. I have also used the drill press with the nails that usually come with the frame kits. I rigged a type of fixture on the table to hold the parts upright and then just pushed the nails in. Its not for everybody though. Of course all of this is hobby stuff but then who knows who can benefit from crazy ideas. Yes, and then there are the air or electric nailers........anyway, take care and have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.