Question What size trailer for 8 pallets

Greetings all,

I'm trying to determine how much trailer I'll require for (one-time) transport of 8 4-way clip pallets of double deeps (4 DD hives/pallet).
    What are the dimensions of a pallet and how many (w/DDs) can be stacked?

This is just a one-time move and I'll be evaluating other trailers for full time ops (likely a large gooseneck for hives + swinger, etc.,).

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Cheers,
    Dane

Pallet size would depend on whether they were homemade or made by Mann Lake or others. Here is Mann Lake's pallet size: 47" X 32.5" or 47" X 33.25". It depends on which pallet clip is used as the w clip takes more room side to side (33.25" side).

The other thing to think about is whether you will double stack, or only single stack them. You can get more pallets on a trailer by double stacking them. The real problem is you need to make sure the trailer will take the weight of the number of pallets you are putting on. Most single axle trailers are only rated for about 3500#, which includes the weight of the trailer. Double axle trailers are rated for 7000#.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Thanks peggjam,

I think the dimensions you gave me will be good for my estimations (I will err on the side of excess trailer, of course).

Stacking was part of my question ~ with DDs two pallets stacked would be max? That's likely as high as I'd want to go anyways, for a number of reasons.

I found one estimate of ~500# max weight/4DD pallet. I'll definitely go with a trailer that will exceed that - tandem axles for certain. If I can get everything lined up fast enough I may just have my 22k gvwr (tandem duals) low-pro or flatbed gooseneck trailer set prior. If not, it's a one-time rental situation.

Cheers,
    Dane

You should be able to stack two pallets high, I stacked 1 1/2 story hives 3 high last year, with no problems.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

peggjam writes:
    You should be able to stack two pallets high, I stacked 1 1/2 story hives 3 high last year, with no problems.

tecumseh replie:
    well the limitation is the maximum legal hauling height of 13' 6" plus not all axle (regardless of whether the trailer is a single, double or triple axle) are designed to carry the same maximum weight. axle design (where's the beef?) can be extremely variable but on most occasions you should be able to look at the wheel lug design and tire size and somewhat determine maximum carring capacity. for example a 6 hole rim with a 15 inch tire typically translate into a 7000# axle (carring capacity of one axle) and a 8 hole 16 inch tire typically translate into an 8000# axle.

most all those cheaply made bumper pull type trailers (most have 5 hole rims) have fairly light axle that typically are designed to carry maximum weights of from 3500 to 4000 pounds per axle.

just guessing for certain but you 500# weight for a pallet of double deeps seems a bit low.