Default History Of Northern Queen Rearing

I found this article in "Gleanings" for January 1979. Interesting to see how the center of the queen rearing industry shifted south. With SHB and africans, maybe it's shifting back north?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...scan0006-3.jpg

Hello Micheal
    I have bought some very nice bees from York bee company "Starlines" when Harvey was in charge. Also bought nice "Italians" from Wilbanks. More recently I have bought some New World Carniolan queens from Tim Arheit. All of them have been very good. Yes I agree that more people in the north are begining to raise and sell queens. Some of it can be a result of of shb or ahb but some of it could be a result of getting bad queens in a 3 pounds package so people are looking for smaller breeders who take extra care of the bees they ship. The other thing can be to limit the chemicals their bee are subjected to . I have read about some of the treatments may affect the queens reproductive system although I cant be more specific. I asked last spring at a club meeting if a lot of the other beeks had noticed that a lot of the packages queens were superceded. Some of the larger beeks said yes they had a high percentage of supercedures from packages. Perhaps the trend will be to opt for more nuc`s thans packages in which case local seems better to me ...my thoughts...Rick

Fascinating article, thanks for sharing! I predict that in 10 years we will see it start to swing back to the north.

I recall a Queen Producer by the name of Hollipeter that used to advertise in Gleanings back in the 50's and 60's. His queens were raised in the mountains of Northern Pa. My grandfather claimed at the time they were the best Northern queens available. As soon as they were available in the early summer he had a standing order to be shipped every week and splits were made into early August. The story goes that the honey producing area in the mountains around Holipeter was not that good. As a result, the Hollipeters went into queen rearing and developed quite a business. Even back then there was a mistique about being able to aquire a Northern Raised Queen.

The first thing I thought when that page came up was... I sure wish we could still get queens @ $6.50...

Secondly, I couldn't help but wonder if the shift wasn't related to the advent of rail shipments (in part) and pior to that queens had to be raised closer to home? Seems to me, in that time period the top queen rearing states in the article were the big beekeeping states too. Just a thought, what do you think?

I'm on board with the whole northern queen concept though...Just hope my nucs make it through this last bit of winter bliss...

Mark