Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Can you buy an Abbe Warre hive?

11K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  dcross 
#1 ·
in the US or do you have to make your own?

I really don't have any problem with making my own, but I sure would like a working model to look at. The construciton of the roof area with the batting and burlap/netting is my greatest concern. There is only so much a picture on the internet can explain. Sometimes you need to see something up close, in person and in your hands to understand.

#9 ·
You have to keep in mind that the US probably has significantly more economically vested in what bees do other than make honey and wax. My understanding is England does not produce a terribly large quantity of oranges and almonds. This is probably the real reason US states are so intent on inspection. That and Americans seem to have a love-hate relationship with bureaucracy.

#11 · (Edited)
Theoretically, yes - there is nothing I know of that would stop you keeping bees in skeps. Obviously, you wouldn't want to go back to the bad old days of sulphur (sorry, that's sulfur to you!) pits, but bees do love straw baskets - in fact I have one colony in one right now - they came through the winter very well.

I think straw is an excellent material for hives - you will find some photos and descriptions of some top bar hives made from straw in the forum on my site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.