Default best spreadsheet program?

I'm expanding from 3 to 12 or so hives and I'm also continuing the family buisness of farming corn and soybeans (5th gen!!). Acrege for me is 85 and will expand to 500.
    What would be a good farm type record keeping program for commodities, bees, and possible other livestock?

I do keep a reciept box for each year, but all those paper record books don't fly with me! I'm too young I've tought high school for 4 years and have never written in a paper gradebook!

you can make any spreadsheet format you want with microsoft excel.... good program.

If you want to create your own system using spreadsheets, Excel is fine but there is a free alternative - OpenOffice. It does everything Microsoft Office does and is free. OpenOffice reads and writes the common Word and Excel formats so sharing files is no problem.
    http://www.openoffice.org/
    I work for a very large company and we are switching from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice to save millions of dollars in licensing fees.

If you want a ready-to-go application, Quicken can be used to run any type of business.
    http://quicken.intuit.com

Quote Originally Posted by danameric View Post
    I've tought high school for 4 years and have never written in a paper gradebook!
    It's a good thing you're teaching science instead of spelling!!! I'm sorry, I
    couldn't resist myself. (taught)

Be aware there are a couple of annoyances with the conversions between Open Office and Microsoft Office. Some special formatting won't make the jump from one to the other. Tables can often be lost. If you aren't sharing information with others with MSO which most don't from home, it's not a worry. Problem is Micro$oft doesn't like to play well with others.

Open Office does export directly to .pdf though which is great for getting something out to someone else. They are also working on filters to import .pdf. That'll be awesome if it works well!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by WVbeekeeper View Post
    It's a good thing you're teaching science instead of spelling!!! I'm sorry, I
    couldn't resist myself. (taught)
    Yeah, that's what I tell my kids they catch me all the time. Man, when is beesource going to upgrade with a spell check that underlines my mispelled words

>when is beesource going to upgrade with a spell check that underlines my mispelled words

just use firefox for your browser
    it has spell check built in

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
    >when is beesource going to upgrade with a spell check that underlines my mispelled words

just use firefox for your browser
    it has spell check built in

Dave
    That's how I get by.