Hybrid View

Smile Home Made Pollen Patties Fyi

FYI
    This is my formula:

1.0 One part BevSweet that is 10% diluted with water for ease of pumping.

2.0 One part dried pollen.

3.0 one ten pound bag of C&H cane sugar which I think is better than sugar beet.

Mixing:
    1.0 Mark & fill a 5 gallon bucket ,at the one part measure, with the syrup.

2.0 Pour the dried pollen over the top of the syrup.

3.0 Mix the pollen into the syrup. I use a plastering mixer and a heavy duty 1/2" variable drill on very slow rpm. The pollen will mix and then float on top. Mix slowly a few times and let it set so that the pollen can absorb the moisture in the syrup.

4.0 Pour the ten pound sack of C&H cane sugar on top of the mix.

5.0 by hand, push the mixer up and down to get the sugar into the bottom of the mix. Or, just run the mixer on very slow and push it into the sugar to get it incorporated.

6.0 Let the mix set over night and use accordingly. If the mix is too runny ad more sugar or a dry pollen substitute. Soyflour will work too.

7.0 Place the pollen patties between wax paper and place over the brood nest.

8.0 The BevSweet syrup is highly attractive to bees and the granulated sugar was used to absorb moisture

9.0 The runny mix can be placed in food trays with a low rim and BevSweet can be poured over the top.

10.0 If you eliminated some of the granulated sugar you can smear the mix into empty drawn out combs and place it next to the cluster.
    The bees wil be very thankful

11.0 The above information can be used as a hot shot early feeding followed by commercial patties.
    Once the bees start brooding up they will take the commercial patties.

12.0 The total mix will be close to 5 gallons and that will make a lot of pollen patties.
    13.0 Store the mix in a cold place.

Hope this is helpful,
    Ernie
    Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

hey BEES4U where can you buy BevSweet?

Lightbulb Reverse the drill

If you want the sugar to move to the bottom after you'ved poured it in on top, simply reverse the drill.

Smile hey BEES4U where can you buy BevSweet?

We bought ours from Sweetner Products in Vernon, Los Ageles.
    Here is their URL:

http://www.sweetenerproducts.com/sp/start.asp

They delivered it to the ranch and pumped it into our storage tank.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

Smile Pollen paste/patties

I added 8 more pounds to the mixture to get rid of the runny consistency.
    Or, add dry pollen substitute
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

Why do you think Cain Sugar is better than Beet sugar?
    This is the condensed molecular formula for cain sugar
    C12-H22-O11

And Beet sugar

C12-H22-O11

They are both the exact same thing. Sucrose which is a disaccharide made up of Glucose and Fructose.

Honey only contains Fructose.

The only difference that I know of is that beet sugar is produced here in the USA and Canada under fair employment conditions and the magority of cain is imported from little countries who use slave and child labor to produce it.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

That and the tests I've seen show that the bees prefer beet sugar...

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Seldom do I disagree with Michael Bush, but on this one topic I have to differ.

I believed for years that there was a difference between beet and cane sugars. I even believed that I could TASTE a difference between the two!

But, with a metric TON of research, I've come to realize that they are THE SAME. There is NO difference between the sucrose molecules of cane and beet sugars. None.

And, with the benefit of this research a funny thing happened... the two started TASTING the same to me. (Knowledge is a strange thing, no?)

DS

(PS. Sorry MB! I'll agree twice with you on the next thing, mmm'kay?)

Smile Cane vs Beet Sugar

Pure cane sugar is not processed like beet sugar.
    I may be a little old fashion. Run this past your grand parents and see what their reply is.
    Pour out two samples and see which one is more clear and which one is tinged yellow.
    The molecular formula has nothing to do with my choice. That sugar beet has to go through a multitude of chemical work to get into the sack.
    In the good old days the beets were hand thined with a short handeled hoe

Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

Smile ooppps

mix the sugar in a good source of water and then do a comparaison
    Ernie
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Honey only contains Fructose.
    Honey

Typical honey analysis[16]
    The amount of glucose or fructose in honey depends on the nectar source. BTW, I use cane sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by WVbeekeeper View Post
    Honey

Typical honey analysis[16]
    The amount of glucose or fructose in honey depends on the nectar source. BTW, I use cane sugar.

I don't consider wikipedia a reputable source. I have gone back and tried to figure out where I got my info from and it appears that I made a leap somewhere....oooops
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Do you believe that your formula is better than what's available from commercial sources of pollen sub? Is it less expensive and just as good?

A friend of mine told me about a study of the commercially available pollen substitutes and one beekeeper produced version. I forget which commercial product tested best. The non-comm product didn't even get off of the base line.

Not to put down your efforts, but what makes any of us think that we can do something like producing a better pollen substitute than what those who make a living doing so can make? Just curious.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Not to put down your efforts, but what makes any of us think that we can do something like producing a better pollen substitute than what those who make a living doing so can make? Just curious.
    Sqkcrk,

Well, we have thousands of hives to try out our products on, I call it the thousand hive lab. How better to REALLY find out if something works, that's on a thousand hive test run.

You here alot about this or that in commercial use. How many have a break down on premixed patties. Not very many,Oh they will tell you what the bag has in it, but we need to know what the patty has in it percent +/-. Are you feeding bags or patties?

Still alot of fog out there.

What I do is mix up ten batches of different subs ( that I am trying out premixed patty) and send to the lab for a profile. Then also put them out in the bees as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Sqkcrk,

Well, we have thousands of hives to try out our products on, I call it the thousand hive lab. How better to REALLY find out if something works, that's on a thousand hive test run.

You here alot about this or that in commercial use. How many have a break down on premixed patties. Not very many,Oh they will tell you what the bag has in it, but we need to know what the patty has in it percent +/-. Are you feeding bags or patties?

Still alot of fog out there.

What I do is mix up ten batches of different subs ( that I am trying out premixed patty) and send to the lab for a profile. Then also put them out in the bees as well.
    Thanks for the explaination Keith. I'm glad that you can do the experimentation.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Thanks for the explaination Keith. I'm glad that you can do the experimentation.
    Sqkcrk,
    Thanks for the kind words.

I think it's our responsibilities to work for better methods, rather than waiting or hoping that the goverment will come up with something.

Randy Oliver stop by my shop today to pick up some supplies to test, everything from egg yolk-- to 90% protein powder mixes.

This all by the way is free for him because Randy is after the same thing I am, and is willing to put out the effort to find better ways.

Smile Pollen pattie by definition.

A pollen pattie is pollen and a sugar.

A pollen substitute is a mixture of various materials to be fed as asbstitute for pollen

Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie

Smile Well, we have thousands of hives to try out our products on

This may help with one product sold by Dadant.

MegaBee (Tm)
    The Tucson Bee Diet
    Honeybee Nutritional Supplement.
    A natural high protein pollen substitute containing mineral, lipids, vitamins and carbihydrates to boost brood production and promote colony health.
    Nutritional analysis
    Protein 46.0 %

Lipid 3.07 %

Fiber 13.0 %

Mixing instructions:
    Patty Mix one part powder by weight + 1.5 parts fructose corn syrup by weight. Let sit overnight and make into patty
    Liquid:
    To make 1 gallon, use 1/2 lb. of diet + 1 gallon of fructose corn syrup. Mix well until the powder goes into solution.
    Manufactured by Castle Dome
    # cd 0708001

You will notice that there is no brake down of the ration in per centiles
    Well, I tried and that the best that I can do for now.
    BTW: Our bees like both the pre made patties by Mann Lake & Dadant.
    The ball is in your court.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Lucas Apiaries.
    Ernie