Thread: 2-Cycle Engines

Default 2-Cycle Engines

I have been fiddling with my first 2-cycle engine, a gift leaf blower. The obvious problem was the pullcord was broke. Now that that is fixed, I find that I can't pull it very easily. When I pull the spark plug out, it pulls great (and I get spark! yeah!). I also covered the plug hole with my hand to make sure the plug wasn't the problem. It wasn't; with my hand over the sparkplug hole, I couldn't turn the engine.

So I'm thinking that something is wrong in one of the valves and it's not opening. I pulled off the carb and can see straight into the cylinder and watch the movements. I didn't go so far as pulling off the exhaust yet.

Everything is beautiful and sparkling. But I'm thinking that the pullcord broke Because of what ever is going wrong with the engine.

Any ideas on why it won't turn with the plug in, but will with it out?
    WayaCoyote

the first thing I ever do to a 2 stroke is pull the main jet out of the carb and clean it
    it's probably a large brass bolt looking thing on the carb
    the next thing is a leaf blower probably has a vacuum operated fuel pump on it
    if the diaphragm ruptures you're in bad shape
    depending on the make they may not sell you a diaphragm, try to make you buy a carb which is cost prohibitive

[edit]sorry, reread your post
    what do you mean "can't turn it easily"?
    will it turn over?
    with the plug out it turned over? did any liquid come out?
    if it gets full of gas or oil you get hydraulic lockup

Dave

Some of these have a pressure relief valve built in, that you push when rolling the engine over. It should be a stem sticking out of the top of the cylinder, below where the head mounts(I think). If it has one, you would push that while pulling the cord, if it doesn't, I have no clue.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Make? Model?

It is a Homelite model UT08107. All I could download from their website is the manual which has no info in it regarding engine size or design.

It will turn over = the crank shaft can be turned by pulling the pull cord = but only with greater effort than should be expected. I took off the carb And the exhaust. The resistance is felt as it approaches compression. If I remove the spark plug, then it has a "normal" feel to the pull rope. I can't imagine that this little engine produces so much compression!

In a side note, this storm just blew away my storage building.
    WayaCoyote

I hope all is well Waya!!!! Man what a disaster.

As to your blower....... you are correct. They really don't produce a load of compression in a motor that size. I wasn't aware of compression releases on ones this small, but if it has one it's worth looking into.

Again, hope you and yours is OK.

Bruce,
    We're ok. Just the tossed building. It is odd really. Everything is still in its place. Even the shovel is leaning against... well where the wall would be. We had a bad cell here after my last post. Motorcycle helmets setting by the door for the sprint to the storm shelter for my wife and son. Emergency pack ready. 4 died just east and 4 died just west of us. Even well into Kentucky, folks in our county could see the gas fire in northern Tennessee were many died.

In Alabama, 2 died in my mom's county in a narrow path between her and my sister. An elderly church friend may not make it out of the hospital. But We, we are alright. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We felt confident simply from the prayers.
    WayaCoyote

Motorcycle helmets... that's brilliant!

Hope the shed is the extent of your losses. That can be replaced.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau