Default The perfect Honey House

I'm woking on a new honey house and thought what fun it would be to design the perfect work place.

Here's the basics:

I'd like to build it into the bank to take advantage of Bio-mass for heating and cooling
    Poured concrete walls, thinking about making it round or maybe hexagon instead of rectangular. I'd want thermal windows in the front. We have 2 creeks on our property so maybe some home-made electric is in store. I'd run the heating in the floor and heat it with 2 hot water heaters run on bio-diesel. Of course that hot floor would be easy to power wash when that inevitable honey spill happens and I'd have floor drains just for that purpose. A hot room for maybe 4 or 6 barrels of honey. How hot does a hot room need to be? A cold room for creamed honey (mainly so I don't have to lay over the block well house pulling out cases any more). And a "warm Room" for extracting and bottling to include and area where my wife can process all the value added products that currently fill the kitchen to the point of making it impossible to have a midnight snack that doesn't taste like soap. It would be raised to dock level for ease in unloading honey supers and Barrels and have a bay door for unloading. (this of course creates a problem for heating the "warehouse area"). A workshop with some simple tools such as a table saw a work bench and the air compressor. An office/display area to be inviting to visiting beekeepers who come here to drop off honey and maybe buy some supplies (although I don't think there's a dime to made there). Should it have a 2nd story with a "Loft" apartment for the potential of Agri-tourism for our Beautiful Fingerlakes area or the occaisonal visiting beek friend? If I'm smart enought I'm going to do a rough draft on Sketchup. Should I be thinking about a gargage area to park my WVO Diesel when I need to work on it?

If you could build the perfect honey house, what would you want?

I'm in the process of revamping a former greenhouse into a honey house. My greatest ideal reflecting on the process is this: it's always easier to start new than rehab.

My ideal honey house would have two large doors. One large door receives the supers loaded with honey. Then the honey comes in, gets warmed, extracted and drummed, and the supers leave by the other door.

In one door, out the other. Fortunately, I don't deal with that kind of volume....or maybe that's not fortunate!

So my reality honey house is being tooled to bring in a load, process it, then take it out the same door. I have in mind to go out to one of my yards in the afternoon and pull a pick-up load of supers. Bring them back home. Have dinner. Then extract after dinner while the supers still retain a lot of the hive heat.

But I'm also working on a warming zone. I continue to use my garage for sawing and construction.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Send me your plans and I'll be happy to lay out the radiant floor system and thermal envelope, lighting and other energy related suggestions for you. Some Solar PV panels to operate lighting and operating controls may be in order also.

I started a thread some time ago about energy conservation in the honey house and got a small response. Your thread, along with just energy saving tips during processing, storage, etc. is what I was after then. I applaud your thoughts.

Thanks Snowbee, I'll send them along as soon as I get them finished. Appreciate the offer!